Collection 'Treasures' - NotTheStig's

An age old question.

What would you do with one of these old soaps or blades if you were given one, new and unused, perhaps 60 years old.

Assuming that you have plenty of new soaps and blades.

Would you use it or keep it as it is?

For example, come Spring I will be playing tennis, I have some Slazenger tennis balls, in a can marked up for the Millennium, never been opened. I go out and buy six new balls rather than open my Year 2000 set. Not sure that this is entirely sane.

An age old question.

What would you do with one of these old soaps or blades if you were given one, new and unused, perhaps 60 years old.

Assuming that you have plenty of new soaps and blades.

Would you use it or keep it as it is?

For example, come Spring I will be playing tennis, I have some Slazenger tennis balls, in a can marked up for the Millennium, never been opened. I go out and buy six new balls rather than open my Year 2000 set. Not sure that this is entirely sane.
My general inclination with, I stress, shaving-related stuff that I buy, is to use it, otherwise why did I buy it? That means that ripe for opening are soaps, blades, aftershaves and 'perfumes'. It's partly driven, I'm sure, by curiosity and partly by the fact that I have no sons and heirs to pass things onto and little immediate male family who would be interested. Where I stall is in respect of mint, cased leather sets - I have more than one WW2 Tech set, complete and unused, sometimes including broad-arrow marked brushes. Thus far, I can't bring myself to use any part of them - and not necessarily because I have numerous Techs, brushes and shaving sticks. I suspect I would be the same with your tennis balls ...

I collect a few different things and I seek out NOS, older the better, ideally pre WW2. Your cased leather set would be a typical prize for me, also leather writing sets, old fountain pens that remain in their original boxes, old boxed razors. I also have no heirs to pass these treasures along to and have some grief from others who insist that stuff should be used, 'what is the point in having it'.

I have some colleagues at work, one woman and her husband are avid collectors of shoes, mint, boxed and ideally post war through to 1970, she would be horrified at the idea of having to wear her collection and yet her boss has only one pair of short black leather boots, she wears them every day for work and home, when they are worn out she buys another identical pair.

Back
Top Bottom