Collaborate and converse

Francis Crick was most noted for being one of two co-discoverers of the structure of the DNA molecule. In his biography, Matt Ridley makes clear that Francis Crick's genius thrived on collaboration and conversation. He would talk and talk about science with intelligent colleagues whose expertise complemented his own.
What an interesting insight into the key to a man's success. And what a quality to possess. The world of science and perhaps other fields is littered with some outstanding people whose ego made or makes it difficult for them to cooperate with other people with whom they may have had to share their glory. How much greater it might have been!

Collaboration and conversation among and between intelligent colleagues - it bought to mind The Shaving Room.

And it's still like an ice rink outside my house so I thought I would share this reflection with someone.

Fido said:
Francis Crick was most noted for being one of two co-discoverers of the structure of the DNA molecule. In his biography, Matt Ridley makes clear that Francis Crick's genius thrived on collaboration and conversation. He would talk and talk about science with intelligent colleagues whose expertise complemented his own.
What an interesting insight into the key to a man's success. And what a quality to possess. The world of science and perhaps other fields is littered with some outstanding people whose ego made or makes it difficult for them to cooperate with other people with whom they may have had to share their glory. How much greater it might have been!

Collaboration and conversation among and between intelligent colleagues - it bought to mind The Shaving Room.

And it's still like an ice rink outside my house so I thought I would share this reflection with someone.

Hit the nail on the head, Fido. Egos really cause havoc.

I'd recommend 'A short history of everything' by Bill Bryson, which is mainly focused on the sciences. A very basic book and it is funny. Of course, a lot of famous names copied others ideas and claimed them as their own. Not surprisingly really.

Update:
Just read your post below this one, and thought I'd add that his "Made in America" is also pretty decent.
Also, The Times newspaper has started including a Free Magazine Supplement called 'Eureka' on a Thursday, in the first week of every month only. There's been 3 issues out. I've read the first and you will probably like it. Think of it as a 'New scientist for the masses'. Infact, I may have 2 copies of issue 3. PM me your address and I will send it out to you, and you can see for yourself.

It is a great book. I read it for the third time recently. I used it as a signpost for specific subjects to study. I've learnt more in retirement than I ever did during formal education. It's more fun now. No pressure.

Back
Top Bottom