Coffee Beans

I too have a Hario drip coffee maker - the one with the glass decanter - and it produces superb coffee. If I am trying a new type of bean - I use it to make a 'reference' cup - to see what it is like. Other than that - Moka stovetop pot - a design classic. Kitchen Aid burr grinder - a beautiful object and - importantly - easy to clean. Not cheap - but it will last a lifetime. - I.

...I will check out the Kitchen Aid burr grinder - thx; my partner makes Turkish coffee (so grinds robust, full roast beans to dust), I mostly use the V60 just for myself so put it straight on a mug (double walled Bodum with the silicon sleeve, which makes me smile every-time I use it, just love the tactile feeling of the design) and grind my "medium roast" beans separately. But more than anything, it is the difference "just roasted beans" that has blown me away, even checked out the practicalities of roasting at home...

Kitchen Aid burr grinder

I have one too, and at my level of coffee nerdiness (admittedly not vey nerdy) it's fine. The only note of caution is that replacement burrs are pretty much unobtainium. You can get a kit to convert it to use Mazzer burrs, but it is similarly thin on the ground and requires you to modify your machine by drilling holes in the burr mounting plate.

There are a few easy & reversible mods you can do to improve the grind consistency, you can find them on the coffee forums if you are sufficiently motivated.

even checked out the practicalities of roasting at home...

I think you learn a lot about coffee by roasting your own. You don't even need any special equipment. I've taken green beans on long cycle trips and roasted them on a camping stove. Small luxuries like good coffee bursting with flavour & delicious aromas are good to have out in the wilds.

I think I like the smell almost as much as the taste. That's the secret of a good cup of coffee: preserving all the volatile aromatics.

I have one too, and at my level of coffee nerdiness (admittedly not vey nerdy) it's fine. The only note of caution is that replacement burrs are pretty much unobtainium. You can get a kit to convert it to use Mazzer burrs, but it is similarly thin on the ground and requires you to modify your machine by drilling holes in the burr mounting plate.

There are a few easy & reversible mods you can do to improve the grind consistency, you can find them on the coffee forums if you are sufficiently motivated.

...I will probably stick with the Hario hand grinder as I only grind for one at a time and I actually find the hand grinding therapeutic...

I think you learn a lot about coffee by roasting your own. You don't even need any special equipment. I've taken green beans on long cycle trips and roasted them on a camping stove. Small luxuries like good coffee bursting with flavour & delicious aromas are good to have out in the wilds.

I think I like the smell almost as much as the taste. That's the secret of a good cup of coffee: preserving all the volatile aromatics.
...it just looks a little messy for doing it in the kitchen but I will give it a whirl outside on a barbecue when the weather permits...

You lot tried your local Arab shops for coffee?
Went to local Yemen shop the other day they had all sorts of tea and coffee looked really good, going to go again and get some nice Arab coffee

I am not one to pay excessive amounts for coffee , whether ground or beans .
I have seen the Lidl Colombian Supremo beans on the shelves before but was hesitant to try them for some reason .
However I picked some up last weekend and I have to say they are really good , I had been using the Honduran Single Source ground coffee from Costa which was a reasonable £2 a bag from Asda , I think the Lidl beans will replace this.

I am not one to pay excessive amounts for coffee , whether ground or beans .
I have seen the Lidl Colombian Supremo beans on the shelves before but was hesitant to try them for some reason .
However I picked some up last weekend and I have to say they are really good , I had been using the Honduran Single Source ground coffee from Costa which was a reasonable £2 a bag from Asda , I think the Lidl beans will replace this.
It gets better , they are on special at Lidl's this coming weekend , only 86 pence a packet instead of the usual £1.72p , bargain time

It gets better , they are on special at Lidl's this coming weekend , only 86 pence a packet instead of the usual £1.72p , bargain time
That is one huge bargain.
And I'm stuck in Germany where Lidl don't do that coffee...
Maybe I'll buy some more bargain Tabac and Speick instead.

:coffee:

P.S.: Ignore the "Italian Blend" for the same price. It's nowhere near as good.

Amazon delivered me a kilo of these for a decent price. Let's see how they perform through the grinder/filter setup rather than an espresso machine....View attachment 62530
Link?
OK.. because it's funny:

£9.35 for the 1kg bag. Not bad. (Link only works without adblocker)

Why is it funny? Here is the list of ingredients according to Amazon:
Ingredients:

Sultanas (20%),Cider,Wheat Flour (contains Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Nicotinamide, Thiamin),Raisins (10%),Sugar,Demerara Sugar,Palm Oil,Candied Citrus Peel (5%) (Glucose Syrup, Orange Peel, Sugar, Lemon Peel, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid),Glacé Cherries (3.5%) (Cherries, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Colour: Anthocyanins, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid),Humectant (Glycerine),Rum (2.5%),Sherry (2%),Almonds (1.5%),Orange Peel (1.5%),Brandy (1%),Water,Walnuts (1%),Molasses,Lemon Peel (0.4%),Mixed Spice,Salt,Yeast,Orange Oil

Directions:

Allow 7 grams coffee per cup/mug.

I'm intrigued...

Back
Top Bottom