Coffee Beans

So I've just invested in a bean to cup coffee machine. Anyone have a vested interest in coffee beans? So far I've only bought Tescos and Aldi own brand beans and they've both been remarkably good. Any suggestions?
I've just done exactly the same - as I've been working from home since April I really should have done it sooner. The Aldi Sumatran beans are lovely - worth the extra 34p a bag over the standard bag ;) And I've just grabbed a kilo of Lavazza beans off Amazon for nine quid. Obviously I had to make it up to £20 for the free postage, so a couple of cheap colognes ended up accompanying them :cool:

I've been told by Brazilian friends that the Minas Gerais* beans / ground coffee available from Monmouth Coffee (shops in London or online) surpasses what they can get back home. I like it too

* a state in Central Brazil

My ultimate favourite & difficult to get is
Old Indonesian Java
it's very rare actually and iv only ever seen it on sale in one place.
iv bought some really good stuff on ebay.
get yourself some south american arabica beans & mix & match
you might just end up with a unique roast that you like
but as others have mentioned don't dismiss some own brand labels

Aldi beans are fine for me - I actually still use a Melitta Filter cone (1x4 size) - works great - no electricity apart the kettle.
Still have loads of paper filters from when I travelled for work (for example box of 100 own label filters €0.89 in a Vienna Spar shop).
Just a couple of other gadgets I should have mentioned: electric coffee grinder & and an Italian Espresso pot for the gas stove (if I want it really strong).
I have often toyed with getting a fancy coffee maker but we have too many gadgets already, and I'm the only one here who likes really strong coffee. The old-fashioned method still works a treat, and the filter cone and coffee grounds are put in the compost bin.

Just a couple of other gadgets I should have mentioned: electric coffee grinder & and an Italian Espresso pot for the gas stove (if I want it really strong).
I have often toyed with getting a fancy coffee maker but we have too many gadgets already, and I'm the only one here who likes really strong coffee. The old-fashioned method still works a treat, and the filter cone and coffee grounds are put in the compost bin.
i know some on here will disagree everyone to their own, but i gave up all the mess of making my own coffee to buying a Nespresso machine a few years ago. Don't get me wrong i still have my grinder & machine incase i go back to it but 7 years now drinking nespresso and i genuinely don't think you can get much better.
I don't mind negative feedback but it bugs the life out of me when people dismiss it yet haven't tried it or make out they have tried it & trip themselves up when you ask them a question.
If you have a Nespresso store besides you go in get a coffee it's free and possibly the strongest & best you'll try in a while oh without the mess

So I've just invested in a bean to cup coffee machine. Anyone have a vested interest in coffee beans? So far I've only bought Tescos and Aldi own brand beans and they've both been remarkably good. Any suggestions?

The coffee beans I personally find the best are:

Lavazza and the other is illy.

illy tends to be more expensive and you cannot get it in anything but tins.
Both for me are excellent coffee beans, but for me I would rate Lavazza as my favourite, with illy been a close second.

Lavazza 1KG bag coffee beans

illy Cofee Beans 250G tin

i know some on here will disagree everyone to their own, but i gave up all the mess of making my own coffee to buying a Nespresso machine a few years ago. Don't get me wrong i still have my grinder & machine incase i go back to it but 7 years now drinking nespresso and i genuinely don't think you can get much better.
I don't mind negative feedback but it bugs the life out of me when people dismiss it yet haven't tried it or make out they have tried it & trip themselves up when you ask them a question.
If you have a Nespresso store besides you go in get a coffee it's free and possibly the strongest & best you'll try in a while oh without the mess
No problem - understand what you mean.
For a few years at work got quite used to Nespresso and similar, especially the free ones provided.

I switched to the Hario V60
I too have a Hario drip coffee maker - the one with the glass decanter - and it produces superb coffee. If I am trying a new type of bean - I use it to make a 'reference' cup - to see what it is like. Other than that - Moka stovetop pot - a design classic. Kitchen Aid burr grinder - a beautiful object and - importantly - easy to clean. Not cheap - but it will last a lifetime. - I.

Co-op single origin Columbian fairtrade is the best I've found having tried many ranging from Lidl to Union. Used a Hario V60 for years but recently upgraded to a KitchenAid double boiler thing with matching burr grinder.... Can't say it transformed my coffee but it looks cool.

Back
Top Bottom