cleaning scales?

Has anybody got any good tips on cleaning scales as I'm after imparting a bit of shine to them. The scales are in an okay condition with no deep scratches. As far as I know they are synthetic. Your advice is most welcome, regards, Adam.

The moulded ones are synthetic (v early Bengalls - without "England" on the tang or with "cast steel" are usually cased in horn). The crossover was with a type of hard rubber (not at all like rubber - more like bowling balls or pipe stems) called vulcanite or ebonite. It was rubber 'vulcanized' (hardened) by treating it with sulphur. It can easily be sanded (giving off a brownish dust) up to very fine grades, and a metal polish will give it a lustre, although buffing is best.

Regards,
Neil

Yes it is like a light browm dust.Thanks for that Neil as I wasn't sure whether to go ahead and sand & polish or just polish. Regards, Adam.

Just bought a H Hobson Warranted Wedge, think scales are original, maybe tortoise/turtle £0.51. Off Ebay plus postage.
How do I make scales shiny or give them lustre or leave alone, have not done hot needle test, Yet!
any advice.
Thanks in advance
Frank

Back
Top Bottom