Cleaning options.

I've got two vintage gillettes on the way from the 'bay (a slim adjustable and what I beleive to be a superspeed) - both are advertised as mechanically sound but are a little untidy and I plan to give them a bit of TLC.

My wife works in a dentist's and the plan is she'll take them to work and run them through the equipment used to clean and sterilize the dental instruments - I'm wondering if this is a good idea?

The instrument cleaner works in a similar way to a dishwasher (so I'm told) and the sterilizer is an autoclave that hits temps of 130 deg C. Would these processes damage the plating on the razors (one silver, one gold) and if this is not a good idea, what would be a recommended cleaning program?

Thanks in advance

The autoclave should be fine the cleaning thing which is proberly a ultrasonic I would avoid as will be rather strong and very easily strip the plating. It won't be like the smaller ones people buy and use at home

The autoclave is a good idea - I use an old pressure cooker (same function) and no problems with that. As for the cleaner, I'd be a little cautious, and maybe see how far you can get just using old toothbrushes and washing up liquid (or even a tiny spot of toothpaste - though even that can be a bit harsh on some plating).

Back
Top Bottom