Cleaning a pre-owned DE Razor.

Hello all.

I have recently aquired 2 pre-owned razors and would apreciate some help on how you go about cleaning them?
I thought of using baby bottle sterilising tabs, drop a couple in warm water with the razors and let them kill all germs.
I also thought of a bleach solution, soaking the razors in it for an hour or so, followed by a close inspection with a cloth and cotton wool stick soaked in hot soapy water.
Im assuming I cant do any damage to the plating etc with bleach.

Any advise will be much apreciated chaps.
Cheers. ;)

I imagine any/all of those would do the trick. I bought my Superspeed from India and didn't want to take any chances, so I bought a bottle of Barbicide from ebay to make sure it killed everything!

RedNeckRash said:
I have recently aquired 2 pre-owned razors and would apreciate some help on how you go about cleaning them?
I thought of using baby bottle sterilising tabs, drop a couple in warm water with the razors and let them kill all germs.
I also thought of a bleach solution, soaking the razors in it for an hour or so, followed by a close inspection with a cloth and cotton wool stick soaked in hot soapy water.
Im assuming I cant do any damage to the plating etc with bleach.

Depending on the finish, bleach might have a negative effect.

I'd say clean it first before the sterilising - otherwise you won't get at the morks that are hiding under the crud...

Be carefull with the Sterilising Tablets, if they contain the same ingredients as say "Milton" for example, as that damaged a Tech that i dropped in it when i first started collected razors, it reacted with the metal and tarnished it, and i could not remove the Tarnish with anything !!!

also bleach is a strong oxidizer and metal rusts when it is in contact with oxygen so depending on the type of razor, condition, it may not be good....!

I tend not to use anythinh harsh to clean my Razors...

Just use the normal cleaning methods, fairy liquid, ultrasonic (if you have or can borrow one), toothbrush, silvo etc etc..
i just use some hot water and a drop of dettol to kill any possible nasties that may be on a Razor, but if it has sat unused for years there should not be anything still alive on it that could cause you damage !!

i tend to leave any pre owned kit in a bath of surgical spirits for a few hours after a soapy water wash. That said, the items I've had from fellow TSR members have arrived in absolutely gr8 condition and just as described.

JohnnyO. :roll:

Yeah, most nasties die within a few hours outside of the human body (most within 48h), so not too worried, boiling with baking soda is my method (5 min), then I clean the whole thing with a toothbrush, and boil it again in plain water (5 min). rince/dry..

FB.

edit: I'm more worried about the nasties it picks up in between shaves in my bathroom.

Pop it through the dishwasher with the cutlery.

I've used scores of old razors and I'm fairly sure I had HIV, Hep C and nvCJD before I began DE shaving.

Standard clean for me is basically 2 x 9 minute blasts in the Ultrasonic cleaner to loosen up the gunk. A soak in Cif bathroom mousse, a scrub with a an old toothbrush and toothpaste.
Then a 5 minute soak in Barbicide before polishing.

Its overkill to the Nth degree, but it calms my OCD impulses. :D

sunburyboy93 said:
Just use the normal cleaning methods, fairy liquid, ultrasonic (if you have or can borrow one), toothbrush, silvo etc etc..
i just use some hot water and a drop of dettol to kill any possible nasties that may be on a Razor, but if it has sat unused for years there should not be anything still alive on it that could cause you damage !!

+1

I clean mine in vinegar and boiling water solution. 1 part vinegar to 2 parts boiling water soaked in there till it goes cold it shifts any gunk very well and kills germs plus the heat will help kill a few too. I scrub mine with a soft tooth brush then rinse them off in fresh water.

Back
Top Bottom