Chromebook Query

I've recently started using a Chromebook and for some reason cant get the BBC news site to display in its normal layout. Instead of a choice of links all I get it major news links and links to local news seems to have disappeared. This only happens on the Chromebook the same browser on a Macbook displays perfectly. Any clues please?

My guess would be due to cookies/access permissions (location) - I'm assuming you're using google chrome on the Chromebook?

If you're also using chrome on macbook, make sure to synchronise data (can be found in chrome://settings/syncSetup ).

Without knowing much more, I'd place my first bet on that. If e.g. you're not logged in on one of them, with unsynchronised files, it might not display it for a while until they collect enough data about you on new machine.

Another option is that on one machine you've basically been used for A/B testings - they're checking what content you react with more etc - but that's a bit less likely scenario imo, but it does happen.

Thanks. Yes I'm using Chrome on the laptop I don't think there's any other option. I borrowed another Chromebook with a similar result. As you suggest I'll delve into the sync options.

Yes logged in ok. This is what I get on the CBook..

View attachment 65503

And Macbook

View attachment 65504

hmm that looks as if it's a custom made page for the chromebook itself - more in a way of an application rather than a website (serving similar content).

I'm not too familiar with chromebooks themselves, but you could check in the usual three dots in top right on chrome, whether there's something such as 'view the desktop version'. It is likely that for this type of device they're serving separate design

Yeah might be worth it - there might be work around for that. I'm a web developer and this is partially from knowing where the web architecture is moving towards - so that part of serving the different design is based on that choice.

Definitely reach out to the forum, they might be able to know more! At first after you posted the screengrabs, I thought it's just displaying it in tablet mode, however that doesn't look like it on any of quick tests that I've ran

It looks like the app rather than the website through Chrome. The app is the same as you'd see on an Android phone just landscape rather than portrait given the general orientation of laptop vs phone.

On my Chromebook:

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 20.22.28.png

... and the app on my Chromebook:

Screenshot 2021-02-26 at 20.26.33.png

... so it's an app vs browser thing and an Android vs iOS/macOS app issue. This is just what apps look like in Android.

Just did the search for BBC news on the Cbook and for a few seconds the normal BBC news site opened but then with no intervention from me reverted to the one I posted earlier.

seems like to me that they’re doing server side design swap then - first serving default content and then switching to their predefined design for this device. Hopefully people on chrome book forum will know whether it’s possible to disable that

I don't have a Chromebook, but am guessing as @pjgh said, it's showing the mobile site. In Firefox on Android there's the option to load te regular desktop version of a site, there should be something similar in Chrome, maybe using an extension. Other people have asked the question, so you're not alone:

Edit: Again, don't know about Chromebooks, but does this option exist? https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...pen-desktop-sites-by-default-android-0207028/

Back
Top Bottom