IMG_20200405_111237.jpg

Razor: Yaqi Chrome Scalloped
Blade: Gillette Winner (2)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip
Soap: Barbarossa Bros Lime & Pepper
Pre: Proraso White
ASL: Nivea Deep
ASB: RSC

Another easy shave with the Yaqi (brush and razor). It pairs well with the Gillette Winner. I remember thinking this style of Yaqi was assertive but I'm finding it much smoother this time around. I can only assume that my overall technique has improved over time and maybe the chrome plating rather than the painted surfaces of the other variants helps somewhat?

I thought I'd give the Barbarossa Bros Lime & Pepper cream another outing. I still standby my original review of it:

BB Cream Review

Those of you that follow my wafflings will notice that I managed to paste this in to the SOTD thread. I've copied it here as well for completeness.

Today's SOTD: 09/04/20

IMG_20200409_093150.jpg

Blade: Gillette Winner (3)
Brush: dscosmetics 26mm Synthetic
Soap: TGS Pino Alpestre
ASL: TGS Pino Alpestre
ASB: None

Final use of the Yaqi Chrome Scalloped. This is a good razor and delivers great shaves. It can make an excellent daily driver or travel razor. Yes it lacks the kudos of artisan offerings but it's well made, has a brass handle, weighted well and will probably last many years - all for less than £13 delivered. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

I've reviewed the soap in the TGS thread. Soap review:

Tomorrow I will be trying the Yaqi Beast Hybrid. Supposedly this is the most deadly razor head Yaqi has ever unleashed on the world. A quick scan of the mostly Russian reviews (courtesy of AliTranslate): aggressive, trembled-cut, slice, skin remove and Brazil are words that can instill fear in the bravest of men.

It has a big old blade gap. Here's some photos of the head:

IMG_20200409_115207.jpgIMG_20200409_115152.jpgIMG_20200409_115142.jpgIMG_20200409_115138.jpg

Those of you that follow my wafflings will notice that I managed to paste this in to the SOTD thread. I've copied it here as well for completeness.

Today's SOTD: 09/04/20

IMG_20200409_093150.jpg

Blade: Gillette Winner (3)
Brush: dscosmetics 26mm Synthetic
Soap: TGS Pino Alpestre
ASL: TGS Pino Alpestre
ASB: None

Final use of the Yaqi Chrome Scalloped. This is a good razor and delivers great shaves. It can make an excellent daily driver or travel razor. Yes it lacks the kudos of artisan offerings but it's well made, has a brass handle, weighted well and will probably last many years - all for less than £13 delivered. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

I've reviewed the soap in the TGS thread. Soap review:

Hahaha..I understand now. You sure enjoy your Chinese Razors and brushes. Well done! I have a few razors myself and yes they're really fine razors at very affordable prices. I have the Knight Helmet on the way and fingers crossed. Most of my brushes are Chinese too. Great review from you here...

Tomorrow I will be trying the Yaqi Beast Hybrid. Supposedly this is the most deadly razor head Yaqi has ever unleashed on the world. A quick scan of the mostly Russian reviews (courtesy of AliTranslate): aggressive, trembled-cut, slice, skin remove and Brazil are words that can instill fear in the bravest of men.

It has a big old blade gap. Here's some photos of the head:

View attachment 53367View attachment 53368View attachment 53369View attachment 53370

They have some new heads which are supposed to be even more aggressive, the Slant and the comically named 'Knight Helmet'.

I find their 2 closed comb razor heads to be far more aggressive/efficient than I am comfortable with using on a regular basis, definitely not daily shavers for my face!

Hahaha..I understand now. You sure enjoy your Chinese Razors and brushes. Well done! I have a few razors myself and yes they're really fine razors at very affordable prices. I have the Knight Helmet on the way and fingers crossed. Most of my brushes are Chinese too. Great review from you here...
The Chinese razors number a small few in the collection:

It's grown a bit since this photo as well

The Chinese razors number a small few in the collection:

It's grown a bit since this photo as well
Woooowww..!! Hahahaha...."Grown a bit"? I'll bet more than a bit...Hahahaha.
Great collection you have there. You could do a contest with a giveaway for guessing the number of your safety razors in the picture...hahaha...I counted 30+ but there's a few hidden...
Amazing collections of soaps and creams...
I am gonna show my wife so she knows my collection is still at an amateur level....way amateur, and need urgent upgrade!

Today's SOTD: 10/04/20

IMG_20200409_115045.jpg

Razor: Yaqi Beast Hybrid
Blade: Gillette Winner (4)
Brush: Omega Proraso Boar
Soap: T&H Ultimate Comfort
ASL: Williams A/V
ASB: Creightons

This brush was built for creams. An ultimate combo with the T&H. This was my first ever shaving brush.

The Yaqi Beast Hybrid wasn't quite the animal I was expecting. It's certainly efficient and plenty of audible feedback but I have a nice finish from 1 WTG pass and 0.5 ATG pass. It's a fine enough razor head but I'm not looking to give it any more runs as I'd like to move on to the DOC next. To summarise: the head is fine, it's certainly the most efficient of the Yaqi heads I've tried but I'd choose the others to shave with over this one.

Today's SOTD: 10/04/20

View attachment 53389

Razor: Yaqi Beast Hybrid
Blade: Gillette Winner (4)
Brush: Omega Proraso Boar
Soap: T&H Ultimate Comfort
ASL: Williams A/V
ASB: Creightons

This brush was built for creams. An ultimate combo with the T&H. This was my first ever shaving brush.

The Yaqi Beast Hybrid wasn't quite the animal I was expecting. It's certainly efficient and plenty of audible feedback but I have a nice finish from 1 WTG pass and 0.5 ATG pass. It's a fine enough razor head but I'm not looking to give it any more runs as I'd like to move on to the DOC next. To summarise: the head is fine, it's certainly the most efficient of the Yaqi heads I've tried but I'd choose the others to shave with over this one.

Really enjoying your MIC razor shaves Boyce.

Your Omega boar is looking great as well.

Today's SOTD: 11/04/20

IMG_20200410_192018.jpg

Razor: Yaqi DOC
Blade: Gillette Winner (1)
Brush: Yaqi Barberpole 2 Band
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
ASL: RazoRock The Dead Sea
ASB: Nil

I smell absolutely amazing today. I love the scent of The Dead Sea and the ASL means I can enjoy it for even longer now. I'm a big fan of this soap which I think is made by TFS for RazoRock. The residual slickness of this soap is superb. Mmmmmmmm me yummy!

So, on to the Yaqi DOC. It looks great in space blue and is one of the few OCs I get on with. I'd describe this as a mild razor. A comfortable 3 passes and I'm close to BBS. This razor favours sharper blades such as the top end PPI offerings - not that it performed poorly at all with the GW. The razor has a nice feel to it and is very nimble. The small brass handle provides a good balance between weight and handling. I also enjoy the audible feedback this razor gives.

No, this isn't a little known celebratory month.

I'm about to conduct a month using only my Chinese razors. The collection consists of:

Ming Shi 2000s
Ming Shi 3000s
Weishi Adjustable
Yaqi DOC
Yaqi Monster Hybrid
Yaqi Chrome Scalloped

View attachment 52907

Unless a bloodbath ensues, each will be used for 3 shaves with a Gillette Winner blade. This will be the only common element.

I'm also going to give all my 'cooling' soaps and creams a run out so the following will be used for the first 8 shaves:

LEA Menthol
ESC Fuar Ach Snog
Extro Freddo
Proraso Green
Dead Sea Shave Maelstrom
Signature Soaps Eboracum
P&B Denali
Ingram Green

I'll report on my findings here.

What do we hope to learn from this endeavour? No idea. I doubt this thread will be of use to anybody but I haven't really got a lot better to do in these days and evenings of lockdown. If somebody reads this and is enabled to buy a Chinese razor and a 'menthol' soap, my work here is done.

Also worth noting that I'm easily distracted and there's every possibility I won't see this through.
2AED24C8-E381-44CC-B1E9-0AEC94BAA9EF.jpeg
Arrived Today, give them a go this weekend

Today's SOTD: 11/04/20

View attachment 53418

Razor: Yaqi DOC
Blade: Gillette Winner (1)
Brush: Yaqi Barberpole 2 Band
Soap: RazoRock The Dead Sea
ASL: RazoRock The Dead Sea
ASB: Nil

I smell absolutely amazing today. I love the scent of The Dead Sea and the ASL means I can enjoy it for even longer now. I'm a big fan of this soap which I think is made by TFS for RazoRock. The residual slickness of this soap is superb. Mmmmmmmm me yummy!

So, on to the Yaqi DOC. It looks great in space blue and is one of the few OCs I get on with. I'd describe this as a mild razor. A comfortable 3 passes and I'm close to BBS. This razor favours sharper blades such as the top end PPI offerings - not that it performed poorly at all with the GW. The razor has a nice feel to it and is very nimble. The small brass handle provides a good balance between weight and handling. I also enjoy the audible feedback this razor gives.

IMO, the GW takes a few shaves for the coating to wear down a bit and it's a bit sharper and I think that's when it works a bit better with the Yaqi DOC, which with my Techs is my most used razor but with blades YMMV. My favourite high end sharp blade though is the Gillette 7 Black though, which I'd recommend if you're looking something with a bit more.

View attachment 53434
Arrived Today, give them a go this weekend

I hope you enjoy your new razors Brian, the Baili TTO's supposed to be pretty good from what I remember. I thought about picking up a few for friends of mine, may do that at some point.

IMO, the GW takes a few shaves for the coating to wear down a bit and it's a bit sharper and I think that's when it works a bit better with the Yaqi DOC, which with my Techs is my most used razor but with blades YMMV. My favourite high end sharp blade though is the Gillette 7 Black though, which I'd recommend if you're looking something with a bit more.

I hope you enjoy your new razors Brian, the Baili TTO's supposed to be pretty good from what I remember. I thought about picking up a few for friends of mine, may do that at some point.
Thanks Shubs. I'm really impressed with the GW. Once the world is back up and running I think I'm going to get another 100 - for less than £6 delivered, it's rude not to!

I picked up 100 Gillette Super Platinum blacks a couple of months ago. Need to give them a go.

Nice one Brian! Knowing I've enabled you has made this entire thread worthwhile :D

Success!
Used the Welshi
Nice one Brian! Knowing I've enabled you has made this entire thread worthwhile :D

Success!
Used the Weishi Butterfly this morning. Two passes using my Mamicium Hybrid. Very smooth shave indeed. For £9.99 it's excellent value for money. Good grip, nice handle length and decent weight. There is a fair amount of blade exposure at the ends but the actual blade visible at the edges is fine and it is far from aggressive. The only minor criticism would be an occasional rattle noise from the butterfly, but, in fairness it didn't become loose. Will be interesting to see if it does over time. Finished shave off with my aftershave splash which I am getting Cosmetic Safety Assessment for and will have full range in matching essential oils to compliment my Hybrid Shaving Soaps.
Overall a decent razor and excellent value for money.
Happy Easter everyone,

Back
Top Bottom