Cheap Chinese Badger brush

Looking on Ebay and I came across this silver tip brush.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvertip-Badger-Hair-Shaving-Brush-Wood-Handle_W0QQitemZ320482521024QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9e3f2fc0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silvertip-Badger- ... 4a9e3f2fc0</a><!-- m -->

Looking at past sales, they can go for less that $2 so that makes it about a fiver shipped.

Anybody got any experience with these cheap brushes? I was thinking of getting one as a travel brush.

I am a DE newbie and currently have a Vulfix 404 which I use alongside a Feather Portable.

Interested in any views.

Keith

I can't really see the quality being that good for the price but saying that, for a fiver, why not give it a try.

I haven't tried it but its the weirdest badger hair I have ever seen, white hair with a painted dark band is like boar brush. I'd avoid this one.

I think you'll be better off paying slightly more with a better made branded boar brush from a UK vendor plus there is no feedback that I can see for this item from this seller.

+1. This is definitely a boar brush, or maybe even a synthetic or other hair brush; most certainly not badger. The handle looks nice, but I'd be surprised if it looked as nice on anything you actually receive. In fact, the knot looks OK too, but even Chinese boar brushes wholesale are a lot more 'expensive' than the 2 quid you mentioned.

There is another one on a 'buy it now' basis for about £8 so you could get the one you're looking at for a fiver.
However,I noticed on one E-Bay (China) site that they sell 'knots' of dyed horsehair which are supposed to look like silver tip badger versions. Could this be 'one of those'? :roll:
N.

Decided against and just bought a Vulfix 2190 travel brush from Diamond Edge for £15 and change instead which I thought was a good deal as it is badger and comes with a travel tube.

henkverhaar said:
Here's what a pony-hair knot looks like:

To my untrained eye it looks quite similar to the one in my original post that claims to be silvertip badger!

Think I made the right decision.

Thanks for the advice all.

My Vuflix travel brush and tube turned up today. Looks very nice and is tiny in comparison to my 404 Badger and Bristle mix (and a lot softer).

I am awaiting the arrival my first vintage razor from Ebay (ball-end tech) so may try them together when it arrives.

To think that shaving used to be a chore and now it is a treat.

Back
Top Bottom