Cheap as chips in other countries

Palmolive shave stick soap is very popular with folks from around the world on the various shavings forums. Over here its available all over the place at a crazy low price. But in other countries its a lot more.

It got me thinking what other countries have good quality cheap stuff that isn't readily available here and commands a much higher price.

I'd be interested in Italy in particular as I have a relative coming over in a few months time and might ask here a favour :D :D

Aqua Velva aftershave and Williams Mug Soap are very cheap in America.

Both are very good.

Monsavon soap is very decent stuff and I've heard it's available all over the place in France and is very cheap. Definitely worth a try if you get the chance. I started a thread about it if you can find it.

Proraso and Prep are reasonably common over in Italy, however most places sell canned foam and cartridges, same as over here. I did strike lucky in one budget supermarket and found Euro Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer there.

If you're lucky you may find Floid, P.160, Cella, Valobra but they are getting hard to find. A lot of the traditional products depended on barbers for their trade and very few offer traditional shaves anymore. :(

All of the above or a 500ml tube of Proraso cream, more likely to be found in grocer's or supermarkets rather than chemist's.

Proraso in Italian supermarkets is insanely cheap - 150g tub for less than 2 euros and pre/post cream 2.49 euros! Bought a load whilst skiing this February that will last well into next year when I'll be back again.

In Spain:

- La Toja: Shaving creams (sensitive and normal -less than 2€), the shaving stick (one the best I've tasted - less than 2€), ASL and ASB (less than 6€).

- Floïd: ASL's Suave and Vigoroso (less than 6€), AS Balm (less than 6€).

- LEA: Shaving creams (mentholated and normal - less than 2€), the shaving stick (called BEA too - very good stuff - less that 2€).

- Myrsol: Pre&post shave Emulsion (less than 12€ 180 ml.), Pre&post shave Antesol (less than 12€ 180 ml.), some afters (lemon, rose, unscented - less than 12€ 180 ml.).

- Brummel: ASL with Witch Hazel (250 ml.- less than 5€). Very good to calm the irritation.

Slow Shaving said:
In Spain:

Can you get the Spanish floid blue as well?

Pete said:
Slow Shaving said:
In Spain:

Can you get the Spanish floid blue as well?
Not in my city, it's the less usual Floïd ASL. I have one bottle sended to me for a friend from Barcelona six months ago and he found it by sheer chance. It's much more difficult to find, I really don't know why.

strebor13 said:
Proraso in Italian supermarkets is insanely cheap - 150g tub for less than 2 euros and pre/post cream 2.49 euros! Bought a load whilst skiing this February that will last well into next year when I'll be back again.
Well done.
I bought some proraso cream for 1.65 euros last summer in an Italian supermarket.
We went skiing in Italy in February but only saw some palmolive cream in the local (small) supermarket.

Monsavon soap.
Was in Paris last week. It is everywhere along with Williams shave cream. 1.55 Euro in a wee plastic bowl. Only bought 2 and 1 is for someone else, por quoi? Tried it over there and it was merde. Here with our soft Scottish water it's as good as anything I've tried. I am a numpty :oops:

Back
Top Bottom