Castle Forbes

This is what is claimed:

The absolutely essential way to start your day.
200ml pot, presented gift boxed.
Ideal for those with Sensitive Skin.

Fabulous luxury shaving cream containing high quality essential oils, not synthetic fragrance. Due to its quality, only a very small amount is needed to produce profuse lather when used with a shaving brush.
A 200ml pot therefore, should last approx. 4 months with daily usage.

Castle Forbes manufacture their own shaving cream to a unique formula in their own private perfumery at the family home, Castle Forbes in Scotland. The formula is not used by anyone else, thus ensuring the cream is unlike any other you may have tried.

So what does Fido think?

I've now shaved with it five times. And it gets better and better. I have a feeling it will only be surpassed, I hope, by Martin de Candre. But that review must wait 'till Christmas. My best results have now been achieved by working about an almond size portion gently into the tips of the brush in a bowl (but not building the lather there) Then face lathering. My Duke 3 is exceptional for this. More than enough lather for 3/4 passes and more. A lovely creamy lather, a delicious lavender scent, smooth shave, soft skin, what more could a chap desire? The packaging looks luxurious. It is. Just like in the photos. A rather firmer than average cream - I don't feel that I will take enough by twirling the brush in the jar. Feel more in control by scooping out the amount I think I need. At £20 it's not cheap. But the 200ml is claimed to last for 4 months.

The Castle Forbes on line website is being upgraded so I cannot supply a link. But here is one to the home page of Castle Forbes. Has a bit of style!

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.castle-forbes.com/">http://www.castle-forbes.com/</a><!-- m -->

Not a bad Christmas stocking filler.

Attachments

• DSC_1344.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 412
  • DSC_1345.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 412
Fido.
Turnabout being fair play, and given as I was at least partially responsible for your recent purchase of a new Edwin Jagger razor, I revisited my Castle Forbes today after about 3 months of thinking that it simply was not for me.
I was able to create the wonderful lather that you describe, but I found it to be very drying and a source of great irritation. But the scent, the scent of it is indescribable. You just want to eat it. So I decided to give another go and once again I created that delicious lavender merangue which went along just fine for the first two passes. As I started to lather my face for the third (usually final) pass, there was that familiar dry paste again. I was struck by an obvious solution this time though. I dipped the tips of my brush in hot water and went back to swirling my brush on my face. The lather started to come back, another dip in the hot water and my face was filling up with thick rich lather again. It was so good that I went for a fourth pass and was able to shave against the grain, which is rare and can be risky. No problems at all. The final test was rubbing my face with a alum block. I got no burn whatsoever and I had that fantastic scent to go along with a fantastic shave. I also have a bottle of CF Lavender ASB so the scent continued long into the morning.
Yesterday I would have politely disagreed with your assessment of this cream. Today, thanks largely to your review, it is once again in my rotation.
Good stuff. Very, very good stuff.

Prophet

It often takes time to appreciate things.
I have found with wet shaving that my early experiences with a new product - brush, razor, blade, cream or soap etc have often not matched the enthusiasm of others. But I persist until I have given myself the best possible chance of ensuring that I am using it properly, because that is often the reason for not appreciating its virtues.
Having said this I am struggling with my R41 - but will still give it more chances. And I look forward to learning why you like the Jagger so much.

Back
Top Bottom