Cast Steel

The Cast Steel, also known as Acier Fondu Pudellato or steel, was born following a brilliant idea of Henry Cort (1740-1800).
After the coke begin 'to be used in blast furnaces with bellows, pig iron divento'relativamente cheap and abundant, though its uses were limited by its low resistance to its fragilita'e trazione.Per most applications you had to use wrought iron, more strong and tough, but continuo'ad be a scarce and very expensive material' cause would be hard work.
Henry Cort patented method of puddling in 1784.
The industry invented a blast furnace to the chimney cokenel which had a short horizontal stroke before the usual vertical.
Horizontal line at the bottom of this basin was a slightly concave, which could melt the iron, forming a sort of pool (puddle-English).
Through openings on the sides of the blast furnace could stir this pool of molten iron with long iron tools, like hoes, called "scrapers."
When the iron was melted, the clerk at the puddling there mingled with the scraping of iron oxide.
With stirring, This oxidation often coming from the mills in the form of rust, react with carbon in cast iron in a more 'or less similar to what happened during the hammering (hardening), thus eliminating the most carbon as carbon monoxide.
The gases that were being developed, and brought the puddle of pig iron to a condition similar to the boil, drain from the furnace by the majority of the slag.
As you removed the carbon, the melting point of iron and poiche'la increased temperature of the blast furnace was about 1400 degrees Centigrades iron "found", meaning becoming pasty.
He then formed a kind of ball, weighing about 50kg, which was removed from the oven.
Although this method was very laborious, permitted to produce about a tonne of steel per day, which represents more 'or less, an increase of ten or twenty times the method of hammering.
The puddling involved a considerable abilita'e for many years after the Napoleonic wars "puddellatori" Englishmen made their fortune traveling throughout Europe teaching their art.
After puddling, the dough was passed between rullidi a hot iron mill and after each step the pulp was compressed into plates or bars.
During this operation, the hot surface, it oxidizes and flakes of rust fell off as the iron cooled were immersed again in the puddling furnace.
As you will be 'found out, the whole operation was chemically equivalent to the pounding of iron made the old way, but it was much more productive.

:eek: You´ll be good friends with Arrowhead and Neil Miller. Don´t get me wrong, I´m a fan too, but you´re a couple of notches above my knowledge level :lol: Very nice post!

Mikael said:
:eek: You´ll be good friends with Arrowhead and Neil Miller. Don´t get me wrong, I´m a fan too, but you´re a couple of notches above my knowledge level :lol: Very nice post!
Have to agree with Mikael, I think a nice custom blade by Andrea with custom scales from either Andy or Neil... better start saving! :hungrig :hungrig :hungrig

Max

Back
Top Bottom