Can You Use Barbacide To Disinfect Brushes ?

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
Guys i’m guessing using Barbicide is a no no for cleaning brushes but i can’t think of a reason why i couldn’t.

it’s something iv never heard of people doing

Have you tried it ?
would you try it ?
and if not why ?

Surely 10 Minutes in the solution wouldn’t be detrimental

Brushes are generally clean anyway Mike due to the amount of soap they move. They tend to suffer from soap deposits in the base of the knot and mould if not stored correctly. General rinsing and airing should be fine but you can use shampoo without detriment. I've used Borax successfully on brushes as well.

Last edited:
Brushes are generally clean anyway Mike due to the amount of soap they move. They tend to suffer from Soap deposits in the base of the know and mould if not stored correctly. General rinsing and airing should be fine but you can use shampoo without detriment. I've used Borax successfully on brushes as well.

I used a solution of citric acid (the same stuff which I use to clean the scale from the kettle) which does a great job for removing build up of soap deposits.

I'd only worry about disinfecting a shaving brush if it was second hand, even then I'd dip the tips in a Dettol solution for a bit of time and that would be it.

It's quite aggressive stuff, and can cause problems with some metal objects and especially platings. I've never tried it on brushes, and although the bottle mentions "brushes", I guess it means brushes used in barbering head hair, rather than anything to do with shaving.

Natural fibre shaving brushes (badger etc.) probably wouldn't do too well, and I doubt that synthetics would either. How it might react to the knot glue is a concern. Whilst it's OK for some razors and other non-absorbent items like combs and scissors, I don't see that an absorbent shaving brush, however lightly dipped or well-washed afterwards, will entirely lose all traces of the stuff, at least first time around. I certainly would not want to be applying any Barbicide residues to my face.

The German brushmaker Leonhardy was kind enough to send me a tin of their Pinselseife brush cleaner, which I think is primarily intended for cosmetics brushes. They also make shaving brushes (Rasierpinsel), and seemed to think the cleaner is OK for them. It smells nicely of lemon, is ph-neutral, but I've never used it, or felt a need to try it out. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

However, I think @Boycie83 has described an excellent regime for brush care.

Brushes are generally clean anyway Mike due to the amount of soap they move. They tend to suffer from soap deposits in the base of the knot and mould if not stored correctly. General rinsing and airing should be fine but you can use shampoo without detriment. I've used Borax successfully on brushes as well.
Thanks Chris that is the routine iv been using for many a year
infact
i would first clean it in fairy liquid then shampoo then finish it off with a touch of conditioner and it’s always worked a treat.
I recently bought myself some Barbicide and i’m just looking for things to clean :ROFLMAO:
i have also used a spot of Dettol in the past with no adverse effects but i do rinse thoroughly.

Back
Top Bottom