Can you name anything that youngsters of today won't know?

Hard work. we started a new boy a couple of weeks ago 17 yo. ( I'm a gardener ) This week we done a few lawn cuts. he was walking like he was using his phone on the high street, about half a mile an hour. he took an hour and 10 mins to just cut the grass, where as i strim and cut the grass in about 40 mins. its quite a big lawn with 5 areas. he is going to get a shock when full lawn season starts

Edit: this sounds like a moan. Its not, I'm going to be p1ssing myself in the summer because he said he was fit and strong at interview

We take on apprentices as young as 16 and so far 4 out of 5 would prove you wrong. A few of them do need a "you are no longer at school, work is different" conversation on the journey.

Absolutely !!!!! I try and install that thought at college. They walk in late, no steel toe caps, skinny jeans instead of work trousers, come back late from breaks. I tell them that in the real world they would be put the door, do they listen ? NO ! In one ear out the other, they will learn !

Yes, Blakeys segs! Got some rubber and steel ones in service and a few spare.

@jimmyc I've bad limp but am an experienced gardener, can push any size of lawnmower whether self-propelled or not and am used to heavy, powered garden equipment. I can be given orders and carry them out efficiently and ably despite my knees. I am also surprisingly mobile and strong, I don't shirk, muck about with mobiles and find hard work in gardens cathartic so what about it, eh? Geeze a joab!