Camera choices for vintage lens video

Hi all - I'm finding myself back into photography and particularly the notion of taking video of my cats and grandkids, but in the same way as I like taking photographs (as opposed to just pictures of people, animals and things), I'd like to learn video skills with lenses (rather than iPhone type video which are the video equivalent of "snaps").

My current rig is a Canon 20D which admittedly is very old, but it takes pictures that I like and I've seen no reason to change. I use the simple Canon "nifty fifty" a lot of the time but my love is with vintage M42 lenses: Meyer-Optik, Carl Zeiss, Chinon, Asahi Takumar, etc.

I also have a Zenit Helios 44M (with an f/2.0 58mm Russian lens) which seems to be a bit of a darling for budding video photographers ... the focus is firm (enough) but smooth and I have declicked the aperture ring; a simple case of taking off the back ring and using a magnet to pull the ball-bearing and springs, which was a doddle. This is the lens that I want to use for video.

My choices (I think), for which I'd really appreciate your thoughts, but the goal is to dip my toe into video with the lens(es) that I want to play with at a low/impulse cost ... are:

1. Sony NEX ... say, NEX-5, cheap and cheerful with adapters for my existing EF/EF-S lenses and my M42 lenses, for which £100 should net me something pretty good condition. Body only. Bit of a step into the unknown as I'm very familiar with Canon and not so much Sony. The NEX-5N/R/T (with wireless) feels about right for feature set and cost.

2. Canon M10, maybe M100 if funds allow. Familiar format, proper wireless and smartphone remote, which really appeals to me. For £100-£150, again body only, I should be able to find something. Adapters exist, again, for my existing EF/EF-S and M42 lenses. The M10 feels about right for feature set and cost. It's nagging me that I should be looking at the NEX.

... or, stick with the semi-pro range and spending a bit more combine the both.

3. I'm considering the Canon 60D which was their first of that line to support video, has a fully articulated screen and it's weather sealed, but not proper wireless (it's Eye-Fi). £250 ought to do it. I'd have to almost double that to get into the 70D which does have "proper" wireless but it's not a massive concern, just that the mirrorless systems I've been looking at do have it ... and cost the kind of money I could spend and forget about. The 60D and certainly the 70D are "an investment".

Yes, I considered the home series as well, the 500D, 550D and 600D but that just got me onto my above thought of combining the two - photographs and video - into the one camera.

... what are your thoughts on mirrorless vs DSLR? I know (on paper) they're better for the video side of things and would probably take (technically) better photographs than my 20D, but DSLR still has its place and mirrorless has not replaced it.

Obliged for your thoughts, ideas and guidance.

I suppose it boils down to ...

£100-£150 on something quite old and cheap to play with (the oldest/cheapest I can go back to that does FHD) that will sit alongside my even older DSLR. This will give me an additional mirrorless camera to film video with and experiment with lenses and what-not.

... or ...

Bite the bullet and invest the relevant money (£500 ish?) in a much more modern DSLR that will cover both what I use my DSLR for (photographs) and give me the ability to film video. But, I won't get the experience of mirrorless.

So, mirrorless or not?

I have a NEX 5N, used as a fly under the radar alternative to my normal Nikon DSLR gear at social gatherings, screen works a treat indoors but sucks outdoors. Only used for stills, felt tempted but ovewhelmed by learning something new like video, anyway battery time is not great so a spare is recommended.

Last edited:
I've thought about jumping ship to another platform as there does seem to be a really good feature set with Nikon maybe a couple or more models prior to Canon gaining those features. Lenses are not much of a consideration as almost all of my lenses are either M42 or Adaptall with Canon/M42 adapters, which I can get the right adapters for Nikon. That said, I have read that Nikon is a lot more susceptible to M42 (Pentax K) lenses catching on the mirror when focussed to infinity - certainly not all, but certainly more so than with Canon.

I think I am erring on the side of getting a much newer DSLR with video capability ... but just can't help thinking I'd really enjoy playing with a cheap and chearful old mirrorless. I guess if the right one comes along at a price I could forget, I'll jump on in.

Back
Top Bottom