Calling Fountain Pen Experts

So I have been using a Lamy fountain pen , my first for a few weeks , and it has been great , but the last days or so it has spells where it won't write , i put the cap on and leave it and it writes for a little bit then stops again. It has plenty of ink in the cartridge.

Any ideas I did knock it off the desk the other day but it had the cap on and i don't think anything broke or at least i can't see anything.

So I have been using a Lamy fountain pen , my first for a few weeks , and it has been great , but the last days or so it has spells where it won't write , i put the cap on and leave it and it writes for a little bit then stops again. It has plenty of ink in the cartridge.

Any ideas I did knock it off the desk the other day but it had the cap on and i don't think anything broke or at least i can't see anything.
R. - It is possible you have knocked the nib slightly out of alignment when it fell - or - you are using ink the nib doesn't like - or you didn't flush it before first use - you sometimes get gunk/grease from the manufacturing process which can lead to irregular flow - have a look at the following link - plenty of suggestions - hope this helps - cheers - I.

R. - It is possible you have knocked the nib slightly out of alignment when it fell - or - you are using ink the nib doesn't like - or you didn't flush it before first use - you sometimes get gunk/grease from the manufacturing process which can lead to irregular flow - have a look at the following link - plenty of suggestions - hope this helps - cheers - I.

Thank you I , I didn't flush it , I didn't realise it needed that.

One other thing to take into consideration is when you knocked it and it fell to the floor you shook the ink in the cartridge or converter and now have an air lock, a little bubble of air between the cartridge and the feed.
Try unscrewing the pen body and taking it off then holding the pen nib down give the cartridge a squeeze to push any air out through the nib.
If that fails to work do as Iain says and start fresh, flush fill and enjoy! :)

Paul.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know how you got on with sorting this out, and whether you managed to identify a specific problem. Which Lamy model is it, by the way?

Perhaps it's not something you might need if you have only a few pens, and don't change inks often or at all, but one of the most useful and effective tools for properly flushing through a pen is a rubber bulb syringe (pictured), which costs less than a fiver. When I use mine, I'm frequently surprised by the number of flakes of ink that come out of what seems to be a fairly clean and free-flowing pen. This one has "PENS" written on it, because I have others which I use for dusting photographic gear, which doesn't like a squirt of residual water.
bulb_syringe.JPG

That's a pity. If you're ordering a replacement nib anyway, and depending on the nature of the damage, you could try to fix it. From what you say, the damage is to the metal nib itself and not to the feed, and, if it is a case of, for example, the tines being bent or misaligned, and, of course, if you feel like it, you'd probably lose nothing by attempting a running repair. In any event, you'll be able to have a practise at refitting a nib, if you aren't already familiar with that.

That's a pity. If you're ordering a replacement nib anyway, and depending on the nature of the damage, you could try to fix it. From what you say, the damage is to the metal nib itself and not to the feed, and, if it is a case of, for example, the tines being bent or misaligned, and, of course, if you feel like it, you'd probably lose nothing by attempting a running repair. In any event, you'll be able to have a practise at refitting a nib, if you aren't already familiar with that.
the damage is right on the tip unfortunately

That's a bummer R. - at least you know what the problem is now. On the upside - Lamy nibs are easy to get, not that expensive and - most importantly - simple to fit. Cheers - I.
Hi I

No worries as you say they are easy to get and inexpensive, only trouble is what i will order with it :)

Now I just need to decide which one i want , I was thinking i might try the fine Nib.

the damage is right on the tip unfortunately

That's unlucky, I've dropped my safari a few times on wood flooring with no damage.
If I was replacing the nib I would go with a fine one. I have medium and my writing is quite small.
Or a medium pen and fine nib, or 2 new pens one of each, or 3 pens medium, fine and extra fine.
Yep I have very little impulse control. I spent a week's wages on a camera over Christmas. :LOL:
Although I had been researching them for the best part of a year.

Sorry to hear about your pen Russell. Despite how careful we are these things can and do happen. I dropped a really nice pen (not saying lamys are not, I have a few) and low and behold the nib took the brunt. I've tried to fix it myself with the help of YouTube.

Hopefully you will get used to your new pen, welcome to the fountain pen community.

Sorry to hear about your pen Russell. Despite how careful we are these things can and do happen. I dropped a really nice pen (not saying lamys are not, I have a few) and low and behold the nib took the brunt. I've tried to fix it myself with the help of YouTube.

Hopefully you will get used to your new pen, welcome to the fountain pen community.
Thank you Mark

Back
Top Bottom