By Sabre Appointment

Who is your haberdasher or outfitter by personal appointment?

Shirts
Smyth and Gibson - Made in UK
Ex Grosvenor Shirts. Recently in liquidation as I moved my account to Smyth and Gibson.
Harvie and Hudson - Made in Europe items
Chester Barrie - Black and Gold Label

Casual Shirts
Lands' End - Supima only
Brooks Brother's
Viyella

Polo Shirts
Sunspel
John Smedley - Made in UK
Lands' End - Supima only

Knitwear
John Smedley - Made in UK
Alan Paine
Howick of Scotland - Now closed.

Chinos
Brooks Brother's
Cordings - Made in UK
Lands' End

Cords
Brooks Brother's

Boxers
British Boxers - Made in UK
Hanro of Switzerland

Pyjamas
Derek Rose
Bonsoir - Made in UK

Shoes
Joseph Cheaney - Made in UK
Barkers - Made in UK
Loake - Made in UK

Last edited:
Clothes - Next
Underwear - M&S

That's where I am in my life. I'd like to expand my wardrobe to include some quality items in the future but the current budget is swallowed by my children and an obscenely sized shaving collection.
My socks are from Next. It's saves on monograming...

Shirts - Charles Tyrwhitt
Undershirts - Robert Owen
Polo Shirts - Various
Trousers - Various
Underwear - Calvin Klein
Socks - Pantherella
Knitwear - Various
Coats/Jackets - Gloverall, Barbour, Baracuta
Shoes/Boots - Cheaney, Loake, Barker, RM Williams, Alfred Sargeant, William Lennon, Solovair, Sperry

I do try and support UK made clothing if funds allow. Shoes are my thing although I have enough pairs to see me through now. My favourite are my RM Williams Chelsea Boots, I have them in black and chestnut and they are so comfortable it's like wearing slippers.

That's interesting I did not realise about Grosverner Shirts; they used an Irish factory that used to produce Austin Reed shirts when they were good and cut on a square block. I wonder if Smyth and Gibson are still utilising the same factory. I used Grosvener for my tab collared shirts; I like a full cut, not the shaped tailored type that many people go for today. I used to also use a very small seller, Terry in the Burlington Arcade (who only used to do tab collars), who went by the name of Trevanyan; again, a nice full cut tab.

Shoes: Berluti; Edward Green; Alfred Sargent; RM Williams (boots); Joseph Cheaney; Clarks (casual Chelsea & Desert boots) and Fin's (no longer in Business) [shoe polish: Saphir Medaille d'Or]
Socks: Pantherella; Burlington (Preston) and Dickies

The Rest: Various; Top names/quality; Top names/quality - Second Hand; Hand/Tailor Made Overseas (but always take quality buttons; from Taylors, but sadly again, probably no longer in existence); Coats (various types); Suits; Jackets (various types); Trousers (formal; casual; moleskin; denim; cords; chinos etc); Knitwear (cashmere shawl collar cardigans, etc, etc) Shirts (all types); Ties; Scarves; Gloves; Hats; Silk Squares; Beach Wear; Casual Wear; Watches; Jewellery; Pens etc, etc enough to last me out!
But really do not need any more (apart from, as I previously stated - consumables and some more Chinos)

Last edited:
Smyth and Gibson have their own factory and produce for Thomas Pink. The management of Grosvenor shirts had been the management of Stephens Brothers, which as mentioned was owned by Austin Reed. The company was liquidated without going into administration. I would assume all assets will be disposed of. Grosvenor did produce in Strabane, Smyth and Gibson are in Derry.

Thanks for the information Sabre, yes, I forgot about Stephens Brothers; they also once produced fine shirts and were sold via Austin Reed.

Smyth and Gibson are continually having sales making me buy Made in UK shirts with Italian made Albini fabric from as low as £37.00. That's not too far above cost, I have bought atleast another 20 S&G shirts since January to add to the vast number of shirts I have already.

Sabre, I store my clothes mainly hung on two rows of conduits suspended from the joists in my garage plus a "spare" bedroom; I dread to think about your storage issues!! As previously discussed, I have stopped purchasing now, as I have enough, well, apart from some more chinos, to replace four pairs that have been worn to destruction! Happy buying!

Top to Bottom

Various tweed caps for colder weather, linen cap or Panama for summer, plus a couple Fedoras for the odd dressy occasion
T-shirts: Lands' End
Polos: Orvis and Brooks Brothers
Dress Shirts: Emmett and Hilditch & Key (from before they were bought out)
Suits: Cordings and Ede & Ravenscroft
Outerwear: Cordings, Valstar and Brooks Brothers
Chinos: Brooks Brothers and Orvis
Jeans: M&S
Boxer Shorts: Zimmerli
Socks: Darn Tough (USA)
Shoes: Crockett & Jones and Cheaney

Plus various sweaters, belts, scarves, cufflinks, watches, and an almost unnecessary selection of ties and pocket squares...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom