Buying from Europe? Beware...

Welcome to the club. In Canada we are subject to paying duties and taxes on imported goods, which must be paid before the goods are released. Quite often, usually on lower value goods, Canada Customs does not levy these charges; my record is that I experience this about 50% of the time. If the goods are shipped via post, Canada Post levies a service charge for collecting the duties and taxes, about Can$9, but if one of the courier services is used the service charge is usually much higher, because of this I prefer to use vendors that will ship through the post office. In consequence, before I make a foreign purchase I factor in to my decision the duties (if any), fees and taxes that are exigible on the purchase. Some vendors in the USA that I purchase from (eg Lands' End and LL Bean) collect duties and taxes at source and ship via courier with free shipping for purchases over a certain value and bill in Can$; this way the purchase is as seamless as purchasing from a domestic vendor.

View attachment 63733
Sláînte Ian. Apologies for the ice skull, I'm a barbarian.
Don't apologise - I know better Scotsmen than me that take ice with a dram, it's cool - it melts - personally - I'm a half - hauf, in the vernacular - and a splash of water - for Islay - I prefer Bunnahabhain - I'd rather put Laphroig on a cut than drink it - I'm not that good with the phenols - a shame to my family - my dad was born there - within two miles of the distillery. Enjoy - I.

I need a tough titties drink. Sorry. No hard feelings

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom