Buying from Europe? Beware...

Shouldn't the EU seller deduct the local sales tax (VAT) as they're exporting the products? Otherwise we're paying sales tax twice. I don't mind paying UK sales tax but I wouldn't want to pay EU tax too.

As I understand it, the current situation is that importers must fill in a form to claim back the VAT for every individual package that comes in rather than for a lump sum of deliveries as previously. So even if your order is a pot of soap, they must still fill out a form for that shipment to claim tax back. As you can imagine, this has massively increased the workload associated with importing to the UK, so many have just lumped the 20% on for us to pay, and they'll not bother with all the paperwork. I am happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood or over-simplified.....

Presumably if you buy from from the EU post Brexit you'll pay 20% vat, customs duty and the carriers duty collection fee. It'll go into the government revenue fund to pay mainly government salaries with a bit left over for the social services etc!
So just new tax because they can, or are you essentially being fined for buying from the EU?

As I understand it, the current situation is that importers must fill in a form to claim back the VAT for every individual package that comes in rather than for a lump sum of deliveries as previously. So even if your order is a pot of soap, they must still fill out a form for that shipment to claim tax back. As you can imagine, this has massively increased the workload associated with importing to the UK, so many have just lumped the 20% on for us to pay, and they'll not bother with all the paperwork. I am happy to be corrected if I've misunderstood or over-simplified.....
I'm sure it's not a paper form, it's computer stuff, still, that's extra hassle at both ends of the transaction, they need to streamline the process for all parties concerned.

I'm sure it's not a paper form, it's computer stuff, still, that's extra hassle at both ends of the transaction, they need to streamline the process for all parties concerned.
Agreed - will be online but historically it was a bundle for transactions over a certain period, not individual declarations.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom