Brush loft -actual compared to advertised

It must be very difficult to ensure that a brush is made to an exact specification. I measured many of the loft heights of my brushes and compared them to the heights specified in advertisements. Most were quite close. Some varied by up to 3mm. I didn't return any. I had already used brushes before I started measuring.A difference of 2mm or above in loft height does affect the density of a brush head. Has anyone any thoughts on how close we ought to expect a brush to be to the specs claimed?

Some manufacturers don't like to trim their hair when making their own knots so are more susceptible to making brushes with more variation in loft
than might be otherwise specified.

Given that I'm not going to cry over a couple of mm either way, but it can make a difference.

hando said:
+\- 10% is probably industry standard but i'd expect it to be nearer 5% for customer satisfaction

When bearing in mind the difference between 50mm and 55mm loft - at that difference you would have a much firmer or floppier brush! So I guess within 2mm would be fair to accept?

2mm sounds about right

it's like learning averages at school

box of matches ave contents 50, in reality the can put in anything from 45-54 sticks

or don't you think that's apply in this instance?

As an example...the newer Simpson Chubby 2 two bands had lofts of up to 60mm compared to the specified 53mm, (ask Chicken Neck). Simpson doesn't trim the knot hair so if its a bit longer than usual they don't like to start re boring handles to increase the depth and diameter so discrepency's occur.

My worst experience - a Rooney 3/1 with a 55mm knot. From Charles Nicholls, so shouldn't really be surprised...

55mm!!! That's huge - they're spec'd at 48-50mm!

I sold it promptly, not what I bought a 3/1 for.

John

Back
Top Bottom