Broke the Wizard!

Well I just broke the next razor to restore that I mentioned in the Bismark post. Gutted!

The pivot hole was a bit of a mess so I drilled it out with a 3/32 hss bit to place some 3/32 tubing inside to take the 1/16 brass rod.

Only the drill bit snapped. I took a small punch to knock the broken bit out of the hole which broke the razor in half! I only taped it! I guess that is the weakest point of the razor.

I've never had anything like this happen before. The 3/32 bit normally goes through with ease. I think in future I will just fill with epoxy then re-drill with a 1/16 bit and not bother with the tubing.

The scales are already made and the insides are finished with CA and the outsides have had 4 coats.

The only other 5/8 razor I need to re-scale is a George Wolstenholm I-X-L.
The Wizard had a smiling spine and the scales were custom made so if I use them for the Wolstenholm there will be a small gap visible between the tang and scales when closed.
Not sure how that will look?

Anyway here are the pics of the George Wolstenholm.
The previous owner has already sanded out most of the pitting so its just a case of going through the grits really:

[attachment=4573]

[attachment=4574]

I would have liked to see this razor in ebony or something initially but I'll see how it looks in the purpleheart scales. I'll post pictures when I get that far.

Attachments

• wolstenholm-razor1.jpg
    wolstenholm-razor1.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 27
  • wolstenholm-razor2.jpg
    wolstenholm-razor2.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 25
django said:
Well I just broke the next razor to restore that I mentioned in the Bismark post. Gutted!

The pivot hole was a bit of a mess so I drilled it out with a 3/32 hss bit to place some 3/32 tubing inside to take the 1/16 brass rod.

Only the drill bit snapped. I took a small punch to knock the broken bit out of the hole which broke the razor in half! I only taped it! I guess that is the weakest point of the razor.

I've never had anything like this happen before. The 3/32 bit normally goes through with ease. I think in future I will just fill with epoxy then re-drill with a 1/16 bit and not bother with the tubing.

The scales are already made and the insides are finished with CA and the outsides have had 4 coats.

The only other 5/8 razor I need to re-scale is a George Wolstenholm I-X-L.
The Wizard had a smiling spine and the scales were custom made so if I use them for the Wolstenholm there will be a small gap visible between the tang and scales when closed.
Not sure how that will look?

Anyway here are the pics of the George Wolstenholm.
The previous owner has already sanded out most of the pitting so its just a case of going through the grits really:

I would have liked to see this razor in ebony or something initially but I'll see how it looks in the purpleheart scales. I'll post pictures when I get that far.

try spraying the hole a few times with WD 40 when you are drilling. Also if the blade is in really good order you could always turn it into something else, this is one i dropped while polishing it at the buffer, and cracked and chipped a small section of by the stablizer, kept it for a while because it was a nice blade then decided to turn it into a Kamisori.

Jamie.

0022.jpg

[/quote]

try spraying the hole a few times with WD 40 when you are drilling. Also if the blade is in really good order you could always turn it into something else, this is one i dropped while polishing it at the buffer, and cracked and chipped a small section of by the stablizer, kept it for a while because it was a nice blade then decided to turn it into a Kamisori.

Jamie.

That's an awesome idea!! I'd hate the thought of wasting a blade. I've always wanted a Kamisori, now I can make my own!
Genius!

I'll try that with the WD40.

Thanks Jamie, thats cheered me up.

Karl

Well the razor has been sanded and the scales finished with CA.
I'm now ready to fix the wedge and you can now get a glimps of how this is going to look and I think its going to look quite smart.

[attachment=4610]

[attachment=4611]

Attachments

• wolstenholm-razor3.jpg
    wolstenholm-razor3.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 10
  • wolstenholm-razor4.jpg
    wolstenholm-razor4.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom