British shaving brushes - Trafalfar T2/T3 vs EJ STF large vs Kent BK8S

Can anyone give me some feedback or any comparison of these 3 brushes? A lot of positive review for the sovereign knot in the trafalgar's and the STF knots in EJs but cannot find any feedback in the knot that kent is using now for their synthetics.

I am just looking to buy a new synthetic brush. It "has" to be a british one (because i want a full english shaving setup for my marriage and i am missing the brush!) and i would prefer it to be a synthetic.

I don't like synthetics too much, i prefer my omega boars to be honest but never tried these higher cost ones (have tried only yaqis and i like tuxedos).

Thanks

Last edited:
Can anyone give me some feedback or any comparison of these 3 brushes? A lot of positive review for the sovereign knot in the trafalgar's and the STF knots in EJs but cannot find any feedback in the knot that kent is using now for their synthetics.

I am just looking to buy a new synthetic brush. It "has" to be a british one (because i want a full english shaving setup for my marriage and i am missing the brush!) and i would prefer it to be a synthetic.

I don't like synthetics too much, i prefer my omega boars to be honest but never tried these higher cost ones (have tried only yaqis and i like tuxedos).

Thanks

A bit of a radical departure but why don't you treat yourself to one of one Graham's hand carved brushes? Not English, but Scottish! That way he could put in the knot from an Omega boar for you or a synth if you wish.

A bit of a radical departure but why don't you treat yourself to one of one Graham's hand carved brushes? Not English, but Scottish! That way he could put in the knot from an Omega boar for you or a synth if you wish.

Didn't know that he is actually doing "made to order" handles with boar knots. I have seen a lot of his brushes in SOTNs. They look nice. Maybe i can contact him

The "English" brush is only an idea to complement my favorite set of Tobs Mr Taylor and my favorite razor, a full brass ball-end english tech. Any uk nation origin will do :)

I have to admit I like the Kent handles a lot... But I think the knot is nothing special

Didn't know that he is actually doing "made to order" handles with boar knots. I have seen a lot of his brushes in SOTNs. They look nice. Maybe i can contact him

The "English" brush is only an idea to complement my favorite set of Tobs Mr Taylor and my favorite razor, a full brass ball-end english tech. Any uk nation origin will do :)

I have to admit I like the Kent handles a lot... But I think the knot is nothing special

Go on, do it! Send him a PM!

I have the INF2 from Kent (see: https://kentbrushes.com/products/infinity-plus-synthetic-shaving-brush-inf2) and find the fibre to be just a little scrubbier than Muhle STF. In use, I think it loads the soap better, given the scrubbiness ... but that's probably just me finding a difference where in reality one doesn't exist. I guess the BK8 uses the same fibre, but the knot looks far less relaxed in those examples. I like my INF2. No idea who makes the fibres - the INF2 is different to INF1 which has a far more legacy nylon feel to the fibres.

... or get a friendly Scot to stick a piggie into a bit of whittled wood and enjoy something handmade from our island.

I have the INF2 from Kent (see: https://kentbrushes.com/products/infinity-plus-synthetic-shaving-brush-inf2) and find the fibre to be just a little scrubbier than Muhle STF. In use, I think it loads the soap better, given the scrubbiness ... but that's probably just me finding a difference where in reality one doesn't exist. I guess the BK8 uses the same fibre, but the knot looks far less relaxed in those examples. I like my INF2. No idea who makes the fibres - the INF2 is different to INF1 which has a far more legacy nylon feel to the fibres.

... or get a friendly Scot to stick a piggie into a bit of whittled wood and enjoy something handmade from our island.

About the Kent brush knots... I couldn't resist and i send an email to Kent today. I have to admit they replied within 2h, which is impressive for a big company.

They told me that BK4s, BK8s, INF3 and INF4 all of them have the exact same knot. They call this knot super soft silverflex (whatever this means compared to inf1 and inf2). The only difference is the knot size and the handle.

Ah, so a specific difference to the INF1/2. Sound. When I saw the INF2, I was very happy to get that handle with a synthetic as (at the time) they only sold that handle with a badger knot which would have been pulled and reknotted making the whole exercise more expensive than I wanted to pay.

I guess INF2 was a first foray into presenting that handle with a synthetic knot. Since then, they've released what you've discovered to be a new fibre in various sizes of that handle. I think I've read that Kent intend to drop animal hair entirely for their shaving brushes. I trust they'll continue with the bristle hair brushes.

Actually, re-reading the website, they're describing all their synthetics as "super soft Silvertex" including the INF2. I guess the INF2 is just a more relaxed set for the knot. Again, I like it and glad I got that rather than one of the more uptight looking examples.

Back
Top Bottom