brilliantine

was talking to me dad today and he asked me if i can get hold of any brilliantine on the internet, he used it back in the 50s and 60s. i dont know a great deal about it, had a quick look about and the pashana blue orchid looked like something i might be able to get him. has anyone got any experience of brilliantine and got any suggestions?

Yardley English Lavender Brilliantine 80g on Amazon for £3.45, been around since 1940's or maybe go to an Asian/African store and get something like Blue Magic hair dress.

Make your own with 4 teaspoons of castor oil, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of glycerine, and 2 drops of your choice of essential oil. Mix the ingredients together (and always shake before using). Put a penny-sized amount in your palm, rub your hands together, and gently spread the brilliantine through your dry or damp hair. If you have long hair, distribute more product at the ends. If more shine is needed, repeat applications with penny-sized amounts because using too much brilliantine can give a greasy rather than a glossy appearance.

Yardley Lavender Brillantine is good, smells fantastic. Also Bryllcream is good as well. These products will give good shine and gloss to hair but won't hold strong. So If you are going to use it on a strong thick hair, you will need pomade. For strong hold I use Murray's superior pomade and sweet gergia brown in Blue tin. There are less strong hold pomades also gives shine and conditions the hair as well as holds like Murray's Super Light and Murray's Nu-Nile and Sweet Georgia Brown in Red Tin

I use the Yardley one on my tache and it really does smell great.

When I had hair, it was always Brylcream - which I now know smells very much like cologne (as in 4711 / Aqua Di Parma etc).

Black & White, as used by Elvis smells like coconut.

joe mcclaine said:
I use the Yardley one on my tache and it really does smell great.

When I had hair, it was always Brylcream - which I now know smells very much like cologne (as in 4711 / Aqua Di Parma etc).

Black & White, as used by Elvis smells like coconut.

Exactly, Yardley's Brillantine on Mustache!!you can smell it all day long very good. Forgot about Black and white, thats a fantastic smell as well, good shine and medium hold, but do not buy the small cup from Boots or Sainsbury's, same price you can buy the bigger jar from e-bay or a barber suppler.
Is the recent Brylcreem same as the old one? or the old one was more dense with a stronger hold?

Sezer74 said:
Is the recent Brylcreem same as the old one? or the old one was more dense with a stronger hold?

I was using it in the 80's and my son uses it now. They smell and feel the same to me, but it was always fairly soft ... like warm butter(?)

You need Vitalis, then or Tres Flores.

The London barbers do a few. Not as many as they used to.

Give him the 'James Bond' treatment and get him some Eucris hair dressing from Trumpers.

I've got the Pashana original and Blue Orchid tonics.

They both do a very nice job, brushed through towel dry hair.The blue Orchid is very nice but the original has a scent I really am not that keen on - it's a bit of an old smell. I wouldn't mind but it stays on your hands all day even after repeatedly washing them.

However both do a really nice job of making the hair soft and glossy. there is some hold but not a lot.

Back
Top Bottom