Breaking-in / conditioning badger brushes

I wonder if these processes are necessary and I am aware they have been covered here and elsewhere but in a somewhat 'patchy' way . Often the threads involve boar/horsehair brushes which have their own quirks.
Any views welcome on techniques/materials.
N.

My limited experience is that boars need breaking in, as well as 'cleaning' to remove smellies. This may take a couple of latherings to get the smell out, a couple more (up to 20?) to split the hairs/break in the knot, and the 2009 LE Semogue took about that long to also stop bleeding pigment from the painted black band.

WIth badgers, my slightly less limited experience is that they usually need no more than 2 or 3 latherings to start performing.

I just cake/palm lather to break in a brush.

you can pick up 20 Muleteam Borax ( powdered cleaning agent ), distilled vinegar and soak the brush and whisk in water agitating Borax powder for minute. Not only does it remove smell but remove soap residue from the neck. Of course this leaves your brushes smelling like vinegar but you can also add dish detergent should you chose and mix it in.

Here's Mark ( mantic59 ) video:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVZz83ago" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRVZz83ago</a><!-- m -->

If you've any mentholated cream like Proraso ( I have C.O. Bigelow ), that works just as well too. Just palm lather the brush and you're good to go.

hunnymonster said:
The EU recently (18 months ago or so) stopped the sale of borax to consumers - so good luck on importing your white crystalline powder :D

You can get it from 'chemical suppliers'. I obtained mine from 'xdiscs' on E-Bay. About £9 for 400 grms ,delivered.
That amount will go a very long way.
N.

I believe you can also use bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar, i have a stick of the new [crap] formulation erasmic, soon as my omega 49 arrives that'll be my breaking in soap about all it's fit for tbh.

hunnymonster said:
Luckily - I have about 2kg from Boots before the ban - didn't cost anything like £9 :D

Lucky you! I'm afraid that,for most of us,it's pay up and look brave.

(Anybody got any creosote left,by the way?)
N.

Back
Top Bottom