Bread and Butter Pudding

Here is my second recipe offering in honour of the new :hungrig smiley!! The soup one was copied from a BBC Good Food recipe word for word. This one is a Rick Stein recipe culled from the same, but this was added in shorthand to our recipe collection so is nowhere near as detailed. Hopefully still easy to follow.

This is the best Bread and Butter Pudding that I've ever tasted.

Serves 6-8 depending on the gluttony of your fellow diners.

6-7 slices white bread
50g/2oz butter
100g sultanas
250ml double cream
250ml full fat milk
3 medium eggs
50 caster sugar
1 vanilla pod

1 Preheat oven to 190°c/170° fan. Butter the bread and cut in to triangles. Arrange in a dish with the sultanas.

2 Mix the cream, milk, eggs and sugar. Add seeds from the vanilla pod. Pour this mixture over the bread.

3 Put dish in a roasting tin with enough hot water to come half way up the sides and bake for 30 minutes.

You can probably make this with less cream. We served this to a 'foodie' friend a while back. He asked for a very small portion because he was feeling full. After tasting it he revealed that he'd never liked b&b pudding so was trying to get out of eating much. He then proceeded to eat two bowls and scrape out the dish. :hungrig

I like this and I'm not normally a sweet food fan. After trying this with brioche bread I make it with that now. Great winter warmer. :hungrig

Pete

Just to add my 2p worth. Another classic alternative is to replace the bread + grapes with Panetone. ( Tony's bread :D ) You can get it everywhere now.

Grate some chocolate in and around the slices a real treat.

Substituting 'posher' bread is a great idea, but probably not necessary with this rather rich version of the recipe. Personally I think it would be a bit much. But then again YMMV*

*Stop! Before you say anything, this stands for Your Meal May Vary! :lol: :hungrig

Pete said:
Bit much? I'm definitely going to try this with Panetone. Maybe I'll leave out a few sultanas. :lol:

What a hog!!

2_21_052507_monsterpig.jpg

Pig Cat said:
Substituting 'posher' bread is a great idea, but probably not necessary with this rather rich version of the recipe.

Tis true...if it's a good panetone/brioche it will be loaded with butter, so you don't need to butter it but I like to toast it to add some texture.

Pete...try some toasted panetone + butter + espresso...that is a treat.

I'd expect the super sheds to be stocking them for Xmas by now. :roll:

Hi PC
Tried your recipe for dinner this evening. Mucho brownie points from my wife. It is a bloody depth charge though! Been on the sofa since I ate it blowing for tugs, :D

Cool! Glad you tried it and enjoyed it! :hungrig

Had to look up the expression 'blowing for tugs'. I thought it meant farting but looks like it actually means you are out of breath, presumably brought on by the hefty portion of pudding you scoffed down. :D

hunnymonster said:
It's ok - Greenpeace are on the way to roll him into the Clyde ;)

HM, you are not kidding. My nearest & dearest hasn't been feeling 100%, so to cheer her up I cooked some comfort food. Cottage pie followed by PC's b&b pud. :eek: Blowing for tugs didn't come close. My wife looked at me afterwards with a 'strained look' and groaned " Oooh, My tummy feels like it's Xmas"
One tries one's best, one gets ones nads kicked for trying. :?

Back
Top Bottom