Bowl lathering - best if you use a variety of products?

I had an interesting experience today. I gave my Simpsons Chubby 2 Best a run out with Cade for the first time in a while. I left too much water in the brush before swirling on the puck and ended up with a watery lather in my first application using face lathering. Prior to my second pass, I rinsed my brush and shook out more water then switched to bowl lathering. It took very little time to make some superb lather as I gradually added more soap to the mix in the bowl. So for my second and third passes I had virtually perfect lather.

Anyone who regularly face lathers with one or two brushes with a very limited rotation of creams and soaps may have developed a consistent method that works. But if you have several brushes and like to use quite a few soaps and creams, it seems to me preferable to lather in a bowl to produce high quality lather. I find it better to sort out a decent lather in my bowl than on my poor old face.

I've been doing both recently, at the same time. Soak and load brush as per normal, work up halfway decent lather on face, then load the brush some more and make up some really good lather in the bowl. Dip the brush and correct what's on my face and shave. Really, it's mostly a delaying strategy so that the first lot of lather gets a chance to work on my whiskers; since I've stuck with using an improvised scuttle, however, there's the benefit of warm lather later on. I'm sticking with face lathering for the Fat, though.

Back
Top Bottom