bowl lather flaws

As I mentioned in one of my ealier posts I get a far better lather with pretty much any cream since I started face lathering,this is irrelevant however. :eek:
What I like to talk about is something that popped into my mind few mintues ago.As we know when you create lather in a bowl you are required to spin the brush inside the bowl for some time in order to prepare lather and then massage it onto the face for 30secs or so.This means your brush will get maybe twice as use per shave which leads me to believe that the life of the brush will be reduced.I used to see far more shedding on my badger brush when I used to make my lather in a bowl. :evil:

What do you think? :?

James_uk said:
As I mentioned in one of my ealier posts I get a far better lather with pretty much any cream since I started face lathering,this is irrelevant however. :eek:
What I like to talk about is something that popped into my mind few mintues ago.As we know when you create lather in a bowl you are required to spin the brush inside the bowl for sometime in order to prepare lather and then massage it onto the face for 30min or so.This means your brush will get maybe twice as use per shave which leds me to believe that the life of the brush will be reduced.I used to see far more shedding on my badger brush when I used to make my lather in a bowl. :evil:

You massage the lather into your face for 30 mins ?? :shock: :eek: , i can shower, shave, dress and be halfway to work in 30mins.....
do you really do that ??? or was it sausage fingers on the keyboard ????

:D ;)

sunburyboy93 said:
James_uk said:
What I like to talk about is something that popped into my mind few mintues ago.As we know when you create lather in a bowl you are required to spin the brush inside the bowl for sometime in order to prepare lather and then massage it onto the face for 30min or so.This means your brush will get maybe twice as use per shave which leds me to believe that the life of the brush will be reduced.I used to see far more shedding on my badger brush when I used to make my lather in a bowl. :evil:

You massage the lather into your face for 30 mins ?? :shock: :eek: , i can shower, shave, dress and be halfway to work in 30mins.....
do you really do that ??? or was it sausage fingers on the keyboard ????

:D ;)

Bollox!I meant 30secs geek!I'm drunk what do you expect? :lol:

sunburyboy93 said:
i was getting worried, i thought i had been going wrong every shave...... :oops: :oops: :D :lol:

enjoy yer fun time fella !!

take it easy

steve :D

you too Steve,right lets get back to the topic,any thoughts? :twisted:

Unless you are using a radically different method with the bowl I'm surprised it causes more shedding. I'd have thought pure face lathering is much more stressful on a brush because of the increased drag of the skin compared to a bowl.

I don't know the answer to this one, but thinking about it, face lathering might actually be very good for your skin, as you are in fact giving your face a nice massage at the same time. Does your skin feel any different after face lathering as opposed to bowl lathering?

Just a thought.

Professor Blighty said:
I don't know the answer to this one, but thinking about it, face lathering might actually be very good for your skin, as you are in fact giving your face a nice massage at the same time. Does your skin feel any different after face lathering as opposed to bowl lathering?

Just a thought.

For me the difference is in the actual shave,razor glides very nice and smoothly even with a 3, days old blade,you might wanna give it a try sometimes :cool:

Not a flaw with the bowl as such, but as I have found out tonight, I make my lather in a bowl and then sit that bowl on top of another filled with hot water to warm up the lather. After a few minutes the heat makes my perfectly made thick lather into a light whip! The heat must react with it and makes the lather go light and fluffy, give it a go and see what I mean, I dont think I shall be doing this anymore. This has only happened with Col. Conk soap and I havnt tried with any other soaps or creams. I still used it but it felt too thin, It still shaved ok. :|

RedNeckRash said:
Not a flaw with the bowl as such, but as I have found out tonight, I make my lather in a bowl and then sit that bowl on top of another filled with hot water to warm up the lather. After a few minutes the heat makes my perfectly made thick lather into a light whip! The heat must react with it and makes the lather go light and fluffy, give it a go and see what I mean, I dont think I shall be doing this anymore. This has only happened with Col. Conk soap and I havnt tried with any other soaps or creams. I still used it but it felt too thin, It still shaved ok. :|

I used to do that in my early days DE shaving,lather goes all airy and useless,I'm happy with my face lather now,I can make amazing lather even with the cheapest creams,however I still need to work on my technique with soaps

Once you've whipped up your lather in your bowl/scuttle you 'paint' in on your face. No need to work it in as the lather has already been made If you want you massage the lather in you should do it with your fingers regardless of whether you've face-lathered or bowl lathered.

IMHO of course ;-)

For those who are undecided, you can of course load the brush and work up some lather on your face, then proceed to the bowl to make up more for subsequent passes. Best of both worlds ... or pointless creation of more washing up?

I do a bit of both sometimes, half mix it in the bowl a little thicker than I want and apply and then spend a little time face lathering dipping the tips in water till it is the desired consistency. On the first pass this gives the lather a minute on my face that allows it to soften the hair. Subsequent passes are much quicker but the first takes a few mins either way.

Back
Top Bottom