Boots vs Palmolive

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first thread. Thanks for the warm welcome in previous posts. I've joined a shaving forum, but have been talking about newspapers, bread and cricket for the last few days! So, I thought I'd get back to business.

After seeing the glowing review of Boots shaving soap by NotTheStig, where he compares it to very fancy brands, here:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1316&start=10#p88544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1316&start=10#p88544</a><!-- l -->

I'd like to ask which you prefer, if any, out of the Boots shaving soap or Palmolive (Grated or otherwise) ?

I've used the Palmolive sticks (2 grated into a bowl) with a tbsp of coconut oil mixed in, and the result is a nice and slick soap for my fast-growing beard. I will be getting the Boots the next time I'm in town. Excuse me for now as I go and take the p*ss out of my Ozzi colleague - it's not often I get the chance. We got in early this morning and changed his desktop wallpaper to a picture of Strauss. He doesn't know, but his screensaver has been changed too. lol.

Isn't England winning a series in Australia one of the signs of the apocalypse, along with birds falling out of the sky :?

Anyway, I like both Boots and Palmolive however I marginally prefer the performance of Palmolive but the locking lid of the Boots soap make it great for travelling.

I have yet to try the Boots soap but can't imagine anything can beat Palmolive in that price range, and the Boots soap is more expensive. I suppose you get a nice bowl with it. I have had a sniff of it though and it is nice, though to me just different not better. At the moment I'm looking to clear one or two soaps and creams out of my stash so not likely to buy Boots any time soon.

Try it and judge for yourself. That's what this lark is all about. Have fun finding your preferences. The longer the better as far as I'm concerned.

Having siad that, The Palmolive stick will take some beating by anything less than 5 GBP

I've not tried the bowl version of the Boots soap, but have tried the stick version.

For me, the Palmolive gets the nod. Whilst both are very good performers, the scents are not brilliant. The Palmolive scent is nice enough, but not exactly subtle, but the Boots stick scent was pretty rancid to my nose. There was that woody/green smell, but unfortunately, there was a bit of a sweat/body odour note in there which was unpleasent enough for me to stop using it.

Ian

Palmolive for me + you can juice it up with a little Palmolive cream if you wish and I like the scent.

The Boots stick is 3 x the price of Palmolive. It's okay but it doesn't bear much resemblance to Cade. The shea butter, cold cream and essential oils ensure to that but it is 6 x the price.

welcome to the forum and thanks for commenting on my post.

I didn't make if clear in my review that I was referring to the boots soap in the bowl; I haven't tried the stick. I prefer the smell of the palmolive (and the excellent price!) but find it harder to get a thick lather that doesn't soak into my skin. But I will always have a couple of palmolive sticks for travelling.

I would definitely buy and try both if I were you, like others have said.

NotTheStig said:
I didn't make if clear in my review that I was referring to the boots soap in the bowl; I haven't tried the stick.

Boots stick and bowl are the same stuff

price wise Palmolive wins and to be fair if they were the same price Palmolive would still win, that's not to say the Boots isn't any good , it is

tony's mention of superlathering Palmolive soap and cream is a good extra to try
i had a bowl of WS soap, took the soap out of the bowl, grated a stick of Palmolive into it and then melted the WS around it, works very well
actually mentioned on here yonks ago by a member who's done that for years, sorry can't remember who

Back
Top Bottom