Böker 'The Celebrated' Wenge Experienced Opinions

Crossan

Supporter
Supporter
Hi All,

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience with the Böker 'The Celebrated' Wenge razor:

Böker The Celebrated

The thing looks like a hatchet (and I am new to straights so I'm sure the square point would leave some interesting marks) but for some reason I am continually drawn to it.

I do keep looking for vintage razors as an option, as I see they tend to be highly recommended, but I'm wary about ebaying it!

Anyway, any input would be most welcome.

Cheers

Crossan

boker-the-celebrated-wenge--1.jpg

Apparently it's a "singing" razor ie a delicate full-hollow blade not a near-wedge hand-axe.

When I first saw the pic I thought it looked like a very wide blade but it seems to be only 6/8 which makes me wonder if it's shorter than usual?

Apparently it's a "singing" razor ie a delicate full-hollow blade not a near-wedge hand-axe.

When I first saw the pic I thought it looked like a very wide blade but it seems to be only 6/8 which makes me wonder if it's shorter than usual?
I'm not totally sure to be fair, it may very well be, from the description on Invisible Edge they say it's more like a 7/8 when measured from the top of the spine so it might be an optical illusion, though Boker obviously indicate it is a 6/8. This is my struggle though, just can't seem to find a lot of information on it.

It is a very pretty razor , one thing to note is it is extra Hollow , so if it is your first razor they may not be ideal.

Only experience i have with Boker is one of their vintage red injun which was excellent.
Ah ok so with it being extra hollow and square point might not be the best bet unless I fancy getting skin grafts. It wouldn't quite be my first razor, but in terms of actual hands on experience it pretty much would be.

Oh well I can always look on in envy until I get a bit more experience then revisit.

Ah ok so with it being extra hollow and square point might not be the best bet unless I fancy getting skin grafts. It wouldn't quite be my first razor, but in terms of actual hands on experience it pretty much would be.

Oh well I can always look on in envy until I get a bit more experience then revisit.
I was thinking more from the point of view that such a thin grind would be easier to damage when stropping etc , if you don't have your technique down , however if you have some experience and have worked out your technique that might be an issue.

On the grind conventional wisdom talks about beginners using 1/4 or 1/2 hollows , personally I think all grinds have there pluses and minuses and for me you are not more likely to cut yourself with a extra hollow vs hollow.

Same on the square point if you are not an absolute beginner then a square point could be ok , I would argue they teach you to be precise as they soon tell you if they are not.

Just to Clarify..Those Razors from Invisible Edge Need Honed..They are NOT Shave Ready as Claimed..But..I have Honed Many from that Vendor..Some Razors are Generious Sized for a 6/8th..That is What the Seller is Alluding to..A Square Point is Probably Not Ideal to Learn On But the Point Looks Muted..Or Can be Muted or Made Safe on the Hones..Price Wise its Not a Bad Buy..A Round Point Would Be Safer as the Boys have Said to Learn On.. (y)

Billy

This Vintage Razor is Shave Ready & Decent Priced in My Opinion..I Know this Seller..He Puts a Lovely Edge on a Razor.. :cool:

Nice Starter Razor..:rolleyes:

Billy

Cheers Russell, thank you for the clarification (I really am new to this whole thing!).

Thank you for that as well Billy, I learned that about the Invisible Edge fairly swiftly. I picked up a Dovo Best (naive perhaps) gave it a go out of the box and I may as well have been using a pair of tweezers! I'll take a look at the link, looks decent!

Thank you for everyone's input on this one as well, I'll consider it carefully but probably go the older route and learn before taking the plunge.

Cheers

Marc

Back
Top Bottom