Boars and creams

Evening gents,

Hope you all had a lovely Christmas.

I've just got a question regarding my 404 and creams.

While it's brilliant at giving me a great lather with soaps, I've been trying to use it with creams and I'm just not getting any lather what so ever. In a bowl it's non existent and in my palm it's very very thin.

I've tried with a squeezed shaken brush and all different amounts of water and still no lather.

My brush is pretty new, could this be down to it not being broken in?

Thanks all

Dipesh

Doubt it, use more product or try this...

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=545</a><!-- l -->

It's odd as I can use exactly the same cream and palm lather it with my ej bb brush and I get mountains of lather so the only variable is the brush.

If I was to increase the cream amount, it would be about the sized a 50p size!! That tutorial is pretty much what I'm doing so it's not method or product.

Just wondered if it's a known thing with new boars?

It's not odd at all that a badger is more effective at lathering creams than a hybrid like the 404 mix.

The tutorial demonstrates how to face lather with creams with a badger brush, you asked about bowl lathering cream with a hybrid brush.

It's the method you are using with the brush that needs to alter, I'm suggesting you adopt some of those methods in the tutorial like soaking the brush thoroughly, placing the cream in the "breach" of the brush and using more product. I also suggest palm or face lathering because your skin further facilitates generating lather because it has texture rather than say a smooth surfaced ceramic bowl.

A mainly boar brush functions least well with a bowl, they are stiffer, hold less water and usually contain less hair so they need all the help they can get especially with creams.

I'm going to put it down to it not being to suitable with creams just yet.

I've soaked it well, used the breach to put in cream and varied amounts of water but it's not like how the badger does the lather. This was all done in the palm first then went to a bowl as I had no joy. I've not done anything on the face yet as these are just test lathers and don't want to get my face wet/messy!

I avoid bowl lathering now as I find the smoothness hinder getting a good lather quick, as you say.

I use my 404 mix regularly with creams to lather in a bowl and always get a rich lather. This applies to Macca Root,Taylors,GFT,TRS, and others.
I normally use about a fingernail size amount and build up to a good lather with just a few drops of water as I go. The bowl is always warm, dont know if that makes a difference and the water here is soft.
Im sure it'll come good for you.
regards, beejay

The brush is new, so the fibres still might be carrying the dressing used during manufacture - this has to wear off.
I do not know what the percentage of boar is to badger in the 404, but all boars require breaking in and this has clearly not yet happened.
My advice to you is to use it for face lathering soaps until it is fully broken in.
How long will this take? - when it happens you will know! - the Vulfix 404 mix is a lovely brush.

I struggle often to get a decent lather from both creams and soaps with my SOC - my easy cheat with creams is to use more product, my creams are all cheap enough, so if I'm generous in their usage I guarantee myself the best chance of a good lather.

I tried my SOC twice with creams and it whipped up a fantastic lather, but there was too much water in the knot and when I left it in the bowl between the 1st and 2nd pass it released this extra water into the bowl and ruined the lather, grrr!

To be honest I am almost given up on creams and will just stick with soaps for now.

I've just had a cracking shave with my 404 and godrej shaving round. I thought I would never really like soaps but I'm really coming round to them. It's just easy with any soap to lather with this brush.

that was a nice thread and example..why was it locked?...though..If I used that much lather and rinsed what huge amounts were left..I would have no choice but to feel guilty!...ohhh all that fluffy lather foam down the drain!... :lol:

Blades

Back
Top Bottom