Boar Knot

Guys i’m looking at getting a Boar knot
26mm.
I know everything is subject to opinion but what’s the best 26mm Boar out there ?
No budget just want the best

No such thing as a best.

Boars are a tricky one, I don't believe more money equals a better brush, but for the lower priced brushes consistency can be an issue. I've read some very unfavourable reviews of people's high end Thaters which were discontinued.

Broadly speaking there are moppy boars (bleached knots without too much density to the knots) or unbleached scrubby beasts, and there's everything in between. A number of producers have knots which have been a little treated, even a company like Omega have a 26mm knot across several models which vary in degrees of how much it has been processed.

Then there is shape, anything between a flat top (a la Oumo) or a bulb knot.

I've used a number of producers, including Semogue, Omega, Zenith, and Oumo. I've heard the new unbleached ones Boti sell are excellent, and I have my favourites there. Boars are erratic beasts though, I had two exact Omega 80265's, and they were completely different to each other. On the latter, some believe unbanded vs banded boar brushes are the same, I disagree with that observation.

If I was you, I'd order a number of different 26mm boar brushes and knots, and start using them, then pick the one I liked the most to be the one I would take the knot out of (or set permanently) to be the 'best' brush. A few Botis (bulb and fan), a bleached Oumo, a few Omegas and a Zenith probably would all come to around £50-60.

If you want to take my word for my favourites, I like scrubby exfoliating boar brushes, I find they are better for creating a lather and I like the face feel; so my favourites are the Zenith unbleached brush, but I seem to reach for my Omega boars the most. I like their shapes the most, they are a modified fan.

I'd recommend trying the Goodfellas Smile Wild Hog (made by Omega) which used to be on sale at Shaving Time for £7.49. Absolute diamond of a knot.

Some more recommendations.

A few people rated this brush very highly,

YourShaving have a couple of larger unbleached boars

Here's the GFS/Omega Wild Hog

Semogue AKAIK do not have a 26mm knot boar.

@culcreuch
Rates his Boti boars very highly, he could chime in if he's around.

Guys i’m looking at getting a Boar knot
26mm.
I know everything is subject to opinion but what’s the best 26mm Boar out there ?
No budget just want the best

When you say 'boar knot' are you looking for a knot to set in a handle or (just) a brush. Knots alone seem much harder to source than the badger equivalent ...

Some more recommendations.

A few people rated this brush very highly,

YourShaving have a couple of larger unbleached boars

Here's the GFS/Omega Wild Hog

Semogue AKAIK do not have a 26mm knot boar.

@culcreuch
Rates his Boti boars very highly, he could chime in if he's around.
Nice 1 man thank you what a great write up.
iv actually got 3 boars myself but the wife has bought me a handle so want another.
I’m unsure if you’ve heard of the Brush maker
Milton at Turn n Shave ? but he has some very good knots however i have one of his already and i’m more than happy to have another of his if it’s different from the one i have.
The dude Robb Moffat from Chisel & hound recommends these people and said their boars are top notch Hazelet's Apothecary.
personally iv never heard of them but they do look very good on the website.
Like you i also like Scritchy so don’t want to rush in and buy anything.
Thanks for your input i really appreciate it

The Boti boars break in very nicely and have a lot of backbone. They are excellent knots....however I would be remiss if I didn't say that the GFS Wild Hog has an exceptional knot and works really well
Seems to be sold out on shave time although i’m pretty sure i can source something as equally good
Hopefully

For a 26mm boar knot standalone, the most common choices are an omega knot coming out from the 49 or the proraso omega brush (if you break the black ring, the remaining knot is 26mm with around 70mm loft overall) and then standalone knots from boti and oumo. If you are very picky, just buy all 3 and choose which one to set in your handle. Maybe start with an omega that are widely available in UK, till the boti/oumo arrive. It will cost you less than a tenner and 15min job to break the handle/ring and get the knot for a quick test

Thanks for all the replies guys it’s much appreciated.
iv actually went for the Hazelet's Apothecary recommended by chisel & hound.
Not because it’s the best really but iv read good things and it will come to me ready done.
so iv really picked it for easiness.
Time will tell if it’s any good but for me it’s nice to try the untested or certainly a product that we don’t hear of in the uk

I think you will end up with a highly desirable brush whatever happens Mike. Teensy bit envious, not gonna lie!
Thanks mate
I think your right and after a couple of days thinking about it i can’t see Robb from Chisel & Hound recommending shect.
His handles are some of the best in the business & the F14 Fanturian is meant to be class also

Are these the ones?

View attachment 87018

They look like they have barely been processed.

So much so, you can almost smell the pig on them!

(it's a sign of quality IMO, the less bleached/processed a boar knot has been, the better!)
Yes that’s the one.
The company don’t have a website but are on facebook so i can’t look as i don’t have facebook.
But that’s certainly the company.

if you think they are decent then i’m in for a surprise

Back
Top Bottom