Blades

I am new to SE shaving, having been gifted a 1912 Ever Ready.

I enjoyed my first two shave, and so bought 100 blades from Connaught. When they arrived in a box, the box stated "GEM Stainlaess Steel Coated, fits all standard razor blade tools, for industrial use only"

Has anyone an opinion regarding these blades being used for shaving?

Is this normal? The picture on the website, of the blade packet, is slightly different.

The gem blades I ordered from connaught came in packs of ten housed in plastic containers.
I haven't seen any 'for industrial use only- on them.

Greetings

That is quite normal and you need not worry, they are the ones for shaving.

GEM/ASR/Personna make several types of Stainless SE blades (and carbon ones) but these are the only Stainless ones that say 'Coated', on the box and the only SE blades available in the UK of shaving quality, other than Feather SE's which do not fit many razors with or without the addition of a spine.

The same box is used to contain ordinary Stainless Blades and on this box is the word 'Uncoated' or no mention at all of a coating these are not of shaving quality and I strongly recommend you do not try them, fool that I am, I have! You will find many such boxes of them for sale on E-bay at about a fiver a hundred. These will skin your face Hanibal Lecter style!

Regards
Dick.

Hi and thanks for the replies..

I did think they would be ok. The ones I got with the razor were in a plastic container and looked exactly the same as the ones I bought.

I was just a bit put off by the packaging.... I will give them a go with some confidence.

Dick, as I believe you are the forum SE guru, could you advise me on blade life? I use a DE blade for no more than 3 shaves as a rule (Polsilver, Rapira, Labs, Iridium Super) can I expect more, less or the same from an SE blade?

Regards,

Cyril

Hairsuite said:

I did think they would be ok. The ones I got with the razor were in a plastic container and looked exactly the same as the ones I bought.

I was just a bit put off by the packaging.... I will give them a go with some confidence.

Dick, as I believe you are the forum SE guru, could you advise me on blade life? I use a DE blade for no more than 3 shaves as a rule (Polsilver, Rapira, Labs, Iridium Super) can I expect more, less or the same from an SE blade?

Regards,

Cyril

Greetings Cyril

I like you get three shaves from a good DE blade on the odd occasions I use them.

I get four or five shaves from a GEM Stainless Coated Blade some folk get six or seven but I think this is pushing it. I also like and use GEM Blue Star Carbon Blades and get three shaves from these.

I think the SE blades last longer simply because they are thicker and hence the cutting edge is not ground at as shallow an angle as the thinner DE blades so they do nut dull so rapidly.

Most people (including myself) think the very best shave from the GEM Stainless coated blades is the second one.

Regards Dick.

Hairsuite said:

Regards,

Cyril

Greetings Cyril

I like you get three shaves from a good DE blade on the odd occasions I use them.

I get four or five shaves from a GEM Stainless Coated Blade some folk get six or seven but I think this is pushing it. I also like and use GEM Blue Star Carbon Blades and get three shaves from these.

I think the SE blades last longer simply because they are thicker and hence the cutting edge is not ground at as shallow an angle as the thinner DE blades so they do nut dull so rapidly.

Most people (including myself) think the very best shave from the GEM Stainless coated blades is the second one.

Regards Dick.

That is good to hear, I will give them a go later in the week. After my R41 accident has healed up :)

Thanks for getting back to me Dick. Regards,

Cyril

I get 5 or 6 good shaves from the GEMs. They, like everything I've ever got from Paul @ Connaught are top class. I'd say that anything he sells is always going to be fit for its purpose and his after sales service in event of any probs is gr8.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

YorkNeil said:
4 - 5 shaves for me. Get your angle right Cyril and enjoy the noise!

Just what I need, another branch of acquisition....... Just when my brush, soap and DE monkey's had been locked in their cages............ :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom