Blades suitable for Merkur adjustable razor

imho yes Feather is the way to go followed by Iridium...there again...only my opinion

i use these in my Futur to great pleasure

Hi Fido.

I've been using a Merkur Futur almost exclusively for the last few months and I have found that some of the best performing blades, with a good sharpness/longevity ratio, are Gillettes, namely, Bleue Extra, Swedes and Thai Super Thins.

I've used it with Feathers too which were a good close shave but I didn't find them very comfortable in that particular razor.

Andy

I don't think the advice would be different for any other razor, start with a middle of the road blade and work up in sharpness and see what suits.

Something like Red IP's, Astra SP, Iridium Super and finally Feather's.

Do they still make the Astra?

I can only comment on the Futur but I would say that its personal, IME it brings out the best in most blades. I prefer personnas, wilkinson swords, astras, bics and supermax set on 3.5 or 4 than the sharper blades which I find get a bit irritating after a few days even if I drop the aggressiveness back a bit.

From my personal experience using a Feather blade and a Merkur blade in a Futur, both at the same setting, you end up more or less with two options pretty far away from each other, results-wise. The Feather gets too sharp, the Merkur blade too 'unrefined'.

Whilst not Futur related but still adjustable I have found the Iridium Super and Gillette Super Thins to be good in my Mergress. I have also used my go to blade Red IPs but have yet to crank them up past 2.5 so will try that next!

I tend to use Feathers in any DE razor, as they just seem to suit me. In the Merkur Mergress I vary this with Astra Keramics, which I have always found a very sweet blade. With the Feathers my Progress is set around 2.5 - 3, with the Astras 3 - 3.5

I just don't like Merkurs or Derbys in any razor at any setting, but different blades suit different peeps & I wouldn't condemn any blade just because it's not best for me.

JohnnyO. :D

Fido said:
How would you respond to this question?

Is Feather better than Derby and Merkur blades to be used in a Merkur adjustable razor?

I have used all three but not in an adjustable razor.

Of the two I think the Derby would give a smoother shave than the Merkur but not tried them in so long. Using a Feather is great in an adjustable and is what I often use because I can dial it down for that first shave (which can be a little raw) and then open it back up as it blunts slightly.

Any particular reason? are you getting your adjustable out for a blast?

The standard woolly response would be along the lines "I can't tell you if it will be better or not, since blade preference is highly dependent on the individual and the razor in use. What I can tell you is that I find that Feathers are better than Derby Extra and both are better than Merkur, for me with the razors I use, ask on a shaving forum and whilst many might agree with the sentiment, there will always be at least one dissenting voice."

hunnymonster said:
The standard woolly response would be along the lines "I can't tell you if it will be better or not, since blade preference is highly dependent on the individual and the razor in use. What I can tell you is that I find that Feathers are better than Derby Extra and both are better than Merkur, for me with the razors I use, ask on a shaving forum and whilst many might agree with the sentiment, there will always be at least one dissenting voice."
Ever thought about going into politics HM? ;)

FB.

Back
Top Bottom