Blades , Razors, Skins, Technique and Beard

The learning curve has been very enjoyable. First month of DE shaving has now gone. I have tried quite a few blades, read a lot of blade info, tests, spreadsheets etc. I have now learned the lesson that there are indeed so many variables: the blade itself, the razor you have, your skin and also the type of beard growth you have along with your technique and ability as a DE shaver.. Blade choice is clearly down to finding a match for all these variables, and be happy with it. I can see that the right blade is yet another rabbit hole to enter. I got some great advice on here to go to Connaught Shaving and get a sample pack. This is the best £9 I have spent and gave me the chance to try lots of blades. I am still working my way through them. I would say to any newcomer to DE shaving to get a sample pack and try them out. It may also be an idea to stick with one blade type for the first two or three weeks as the technique will be improving and this would give the blade samples a fairer test.

I think one of the most important things for a new DE shaver is to set aside a good 30 minutes for the shave and stick with it - go very slowly and carefully.
Yeah. You really need to take your time with it and don't rush it; even if the missus starts yelling upstairs cause you've been gone a while. Shaving time is ' me' time.

The learning curve has been very enjoyable. First month of DE shaving has now gone. I have tried quite a few blades, read a lot of blade info, tests, spreadsheets etc. I have now learned the lesson that there are indeed so many variables: the blade itself, the razor you have, your skin and also the type of beard growth you have along with your technique and ability as a DE shaver.. Blade choice is clearly down to finding a match for all these variables, and be happy with it. I can see that the right blade is yet another rabbit hole to enter. I got some great advice on here to go to Connaught Shaving and get a sample pack. This is the best £9 I have spent and gave me the chance to try lots of blades. I am still working my way through them. I would say to any newcomer to DE shaving to get a sample pack and try them out. It may also be an idea to stick with one blade type for the first two or three weeks as the technique will be improving and this would give the blade samples a fairer test.
I'm certainly reevaluating a couple of blades I dismissed early on. And funnily enough, relegating some I thought were "the one":rolleyes:.But that's half the fun isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom