Blade overhang - the 2nd reason for........

As far as I can find out on the forum, it seems the consensus is that many DE razor manufacturers allow blade end overhang to enable minute adjustment of the blade alignment.
I also think that it may allow shavers with poor eyesight to feel if there is a blade fitted without risking a cut?

Whatdya think?

As far as I can find out on the forum, it seems the consensus is that many DE razor manufacturers allow blade end overhang to enable minute adjustment of the blade alignment.
I also think that it may allow shavers with poor eyesight to feel if there is a blade fitted without risking a cut?

Whatdya think?

Those theories certainly have merit. :unsure:

Never really considered the reasons for this. (shows my attention to detail)
Having said that when using razors which don't allow overhang I did find removing the blade that bit more difficult, particularly when it decides to stick to the top cap.
Despite this I see that razors without overhang are favoured over the ones which do.
For example Tatara's latest addition the Muramasa no longer has the overhang.

Indeed, the head can functionally be held by the blade tabs between finger and thumb with another finger supporting under the cap. Unscrew the handle, remove the baseplate and the blade is still held firmly and safely on the cap. Remove third digit allowing the cap to fall into the hand and you're sorted. One blade safely removed.

Indeed, the head can functionally be held by the blade tabs between finger and thumb with another finger supporting under the cap. Unscrew the handle, remove the baseplate and the blade is still held firmly and safely on the cap. Remove third digit allowing the cap to fall into the hand and you're sorted. One blade safely removed.
This is what i always thought it was for, so you could take hold of the blade safely, when dissembling for a blade change.

Have never experienced any nicks from overhang (thus far -i do realise that last sentence is tempting fate - its like shaking my fist at the Sky .... )

That blade overhang put me off DE shaving for many decades. As per Satanfriendly, my ears and nose thanked me profusly.

Living in the Far East, my source of Good News dried up, and I uncoverd my Gilettes from the early 70's. Still hated the overhang, but, lo and behold, razors were being manufactured that had the ends of the blades covered.

Snatched one, and with thoughts of Dan Quayle, "I'm a happy camper!"

I was sick of the small nicks I used to get down the ear line.
Thanks for that comment, my dad has been complaining that he keeps nicking his ears with the razor I bought him for father's day and that was putting him off fully committing to ditching his cartridge razor. Maybe that's his issue - I'll give it a check out and maybe switch him for one of mine without overhang. Cheers :)

Never really considered the reasons for this. (shows my attention to detail)
Having said that when using razors which don't allow overhang I did find removing the blade that bit more difficult, particularly when it decides to stick to the top cap.
Despite this I see that razors without overhang are favoured over the ones which do.
For example Tatara's latest addition the Muramasa no longer has the overhang.
As total concentration is needed while shaving, after a few cases of ears lips and noses being sliced due to early morning and late night shaving while being tired it was decided by the bods in shaving manufacture to incorporate an early warning system of some kind, the boffs not wanting to radically change the head of Razors decided to shorten the edges of the head giving that overhang as an early warning system to waken us from our slumber so as only to cause a minor scrape without amputation or upsetting our Loved ones nice clean Bathroom by spilling copious amounts of claret where the possibility then lay in physical retribution from her/him (insert as appropriate) & it being rather more painful and possibly maiming us to boot.

• Haha
Reactions: ATG
Back
Top Bottom