Blade coatings

I'm trying to understand the differences between the benefits of different types of blade coatings and have a few questions.

I understand the concept of using a coating on top of a stanless stell blade in order to produce a finer edge to the blade by ironing out any imperfections in the blade's edge, I am though curious as to what each different coating will offer?

For example, I have read on another that a titanium coating will give a rough shave (although this hasn't been my experience), whilst it appears to be generally accepted that a platinum coating will give a better shave than a non-coated blade (which again has not always been the case for me).

What then of chrome, ceramic and tungsten coatings, as well as PTFE and Polymer coatings?

Can any one coating be generally considered to be superior to another or is it just a case of YMMV?

You also have to remember that when comparing a coated blade to an uncoated one, you're very unlikely to be comparing apples to apples - the coating won't be the sole difference (the blade honing: is it single bevel, or double?; is it hone to the same standard?; is the steel the same composition & quality?; what about the quality of the coating? ...)

For two otherwise equal blades, the coated one will probably be better... but we all have different faces so at the end, yes: YMMV.

The only thing I've ever noticed about coated blades is that I'll possibly get a rash. I don't get rashes with plain stainless blades so I never did bother with experimenting to find out which coating was irritating me, I just avoided coatings.

Ever noticed the list of coatings on Derby's?

193.jpg

:shock: Nuff said. :lol:

... and what about the Teflon coating on Sputniks, which bother me much less than most other coated blades (generally speaking, as Minora Plats are usually fine with me)?

• This coating stuff about which is better than what others etc is a question that keeps getting into my brain. Right up there with what is done to make stainless steel 'super'? if anything.
      • ... and is it a standardised thing across all steel manufacturers?
        • etc....[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Thanks for the replies guys - there's a fair few things I hadn't thought about especially steel & coating quality, the hone of the blade and the coating causing irritation.

It just goes to show that what I thought was a relatively simple process (i.e. making a razor blade), is significantly more complex than I first thought.

Back
Top Bottom