Blackland Sabre.

Greetings
I notice that on facebook Blackland razors have announced that the Level 2 Sabre razor should be available from Saturday, if this is the case will there be anybody here buying one 'blind' or will it be the case that you will wait and see what others say about it first?

I am certainly interested but I will not be buying blind, I need to read a few reviews from users who I know from these pages and whose preferences in razors I believe I am familiar with.

Who is going to be our 'recce. man' and sound one out for the team? :D

Regards
Dick.
Hello Dick
Not I this time around I am afraid , my credit card is out of harm's way , :rolleyes:

Due to circumstances I'll have to buy the V2 plate blindly without any reviews, because I have to send it to a friend in the U.S who is coming back on Nov. 16th with it including a few other goodies, the V1 Sabre included. This way I save on shipping and taxes.
From the reviews of the Sabre I know it, it's going to be way too mild for me as some friends who have it, use milder razors than me and do find the original on the mild side of things.
Another plus point is that Shane has used it and I do believe him.

Last edited:
My first shave with the Level Two base plate for the Blackland a Sabre. I must say up front that I found the origanal set up to be perfectly good and never failed to get a fab shave from it.
I bought the level two base plate out of curiosity and I do enjoy an aggressive razor as long as it is not so aggressive to be unpleasant to shave with.
As I say this was my first shave with this set up and I used a blade that was on its third outing.
There was lots more blade feel but not so much that it was uncomfortable, and my shave was over in two passes, no touch ups needed and left with a BBS finnish.
The shave was just as smooth as it was before so nothing has been sacrificed to get to this level of agression.
So there is an improvement and I think anyone who found the origanal was too mild will find this plate to be just perfect.
I will be spending a week with this new plate installed just enjoying the experience . :) P.

Well, I have used the Sabre with the level two base plate for the last seven shaves and have found it to be very good indeed.
As I have said before I felt I did not really need this updated base plate but bought it out of curiosity but I am pleased I did, my shaves were quicker, by one pass and I felt the re growth was slower showing how close a shave I have been getting from the razor with the new plate. I also enjoyed the increase in blade feel.
If you are quite happy with the finnish you are getting now and have no real need to shorten your shave by one pass and have no desire for more blade feel then stick with what you have but if you felt the original base plate was not aggressive enough or you just like more blade feel and would benifit from a two pass shave with noticeable slower stubble re growth then this may be for you. Well done to Blackland Razors for taking notice of what their customers wanted and producing the goods. :) P.

Last edited:
My first shave with the Level Two base plate for the Blackland a Sabre. I must say up front that I found the origanal set up to be perfectly good and never failed to get a fab shave from it.
I bought the level two base plate out of curiosity and I do enjoy an aggressive razor as long as it is not so aggressive to be unpleasant to shave with.
As I say this was my first shave with this set up and I used a blade that was on its third outing.
There was lots more blade feel but not so much that it was uncomfortable, and my shave was over in two passes, no touch ups needed and left with a BBS finnish.
The shave was just as smooth as it was before so nothing has been sacrificed to get to this level of agression.
So there is an improvement and I think anyone who found the origanal was too mild will find this plate to be just perfect.
I will be spending a week with this new plate installed just enjoying the experience . :) P.
My experience is pretty similar. I have the L1 & L2 plates and find the end product is the same with both configurations. Those folk who like to feel the steel will probably prefer the L2 plate and others who feel that they should not feel the blade will gravitate to the L1,

Comparing the L1, L2 and the ATT G1 revised base plates was fun and honestly, all three performed at near perfection. I don't find enough difference in performance and efficiency to even make it worth consideration and find it hard to fault any of them on the shaves possible.

BUT... I feel that extra little pieces part on the G1 is something designed just for me to lose and the blade stops on the L1 & L2 really need to be radiused.

There, I did it. I found the faults!

I'm still loving my Blackland Sabre (original first-release model), in spite of now having far too many new SEs to choose from.

It's not something I'd given much heed to, but, loading up a blade today (from the clear plastic dispenser supplied), I carefully threaded on the handle and tightened it up, to the point where it wouldn't move further with normal pressure. However, absentmindedly, I picked it up and gave the handle another light turn, and it tightened a bit further. The sensation was similar to tightening a vise down on to, for example, a piece of soft brass or copper tubing, to the point where it collapses and scrunches up.

I'm wondering whether what I'd done was to compress the aluminium strip on the blade slightly; perhaps if it hadn't been pressed on completely.

Any suggestions?

I'm still loving my Blackland Sabre (original first-release model), in spite of now having far too many new SEs to choose from.

It's not something I'd given much heed to, but, loading up a blade today (from the clear plastic dispenser supplied), I carefully threaded on the handle and tightened it up, to the point where it wouldn't move further with normal pressure. However, absentmindedly, I picked it up and gave the handle another light turn, and it tightened a bit further. The sensation was similar to tightening a vise down on to, for example, a piece of soft brass or copper tubing, to the point where it collapses and scrunches up.

I'm wondering whether what I'd done was to compress the aluminium strip on the blade slightly; perhaps if it hadn't been pressed on completely.

Any suggestions?
If everything else looks ok I would guess that's exactly what has happened. P.

Back
Top Bottom