Blackened razor.

Got this Gillette Belmont On Tuesday at an Antiques Fair, it was covered in Muck, and very Tarnished, i believe it is Silver Plated........
anyway it came up lovely considering it's eighty years old !, it had three spins in the Ultrasonic with some hot water and Fairy Liquid, and a careful going over with Silvo...

fa599856.jpg

dc9a7fb1.jpg

e9b62be5.jpg

c04dec77.jpg

fozz77 said:
So the jobs a non starter without an ultra sonic???

I would stick yours in an ultrasonic for a couple of cycles, can't do any harm but the ultrasonic didn't do much to my blackened silver plate, fine for removing or shifting micro debris especially internally.

If it doesn't do much you might have to go for a more aggressive treatment like HM suggested. WD40 isn't bad at shifting caked on crap, tried it on BBQ after hearing an ad.

The Ultrasonic will only remove the dirt / soap residue etc which as Antdad said, is good for the internals of a Razor especially TTO / Adjustables as a long soak and an ultrasonic clean does free them up, also great for removing crap from Knurled handles etc etc, but it will not remove Tarnish.

I'd be careful about using an ultrasonic bath with an adjustable like the Fatboy or Slim as the painted numbers will likely come off, but for the other TTOs they're great.

But if you don't have access to one, which is what I think fozz was getting at, then either a long soak in hot water or boiling it for a couple of minutes is maybe the best way to go.

Fozz, I'd try soaking the razor in denture cleaner. A great tip I picked up from someone here - can't recall who. You may need to boil and soak a few times.

Yellow Jim said:
I'd be careful about using an ultrasonic bath with an adjustable like the Fatboy or Slim as the painted numbers will likely come off, but for the other TTOs they're great.

But if you don't have access to one, which is what I think fozz was getting at, then either a long soak in hot water or boiling it for a couple of minutes is maybe the best way to go.

yeah forgot to mention, it will take the numbers straight out, i always repaint them with Humbrol Black Enamel Paint

Thanks again fella's. I will give it the boiling treatment over the weekend. I just got by evil bay bought straights back from getting honed. So I might get one of those out for a spin over the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom