Bit Of Mould On My Brush

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
Is there a best way to get rid of mould ?
just noticed one of my brushes has a bit of mould, well i think it’s mould at the base of the knot.
i’m actually surprised as i really look after everything i own.
i did buy this brush second hand but don’t want to go down the road of blaming someone else,
i’ll blame myself.

What’s your thoughts of getting rid of it if at all possible ?

Today i left it for a couple of hours in Washing Up liquid, then i lathered it up for a good 20 minutes with the washing up liquid,
rinsed it thoroughly then repeated the process only this time i took a comb through the hair, rinsed it all again & repeated the process using shampoo.
At the moment it’s hard to tell if it’s made any difference.

My initial thoughts were to pop a Milton sterilising tablet in to the water but was afraid it would not be good for the hair although it is an opinion if all else fails.

What’s your thoughts Lads
any known treatments you know of ?

If the mould is down at base of the knot, I suspect it's not been left to fully dry out between uses?
I've never had any mould issues my badger brushes, but may be some use to you. I wash them every so often with a 50:50 white vinegar and water soak, then wash them out with shampoo and conditioner, then a shake and rough dry on a towel and leave to air dry fully.

If the mould is down at base of the knot, I suspect it's not been left to fully dry out between uses?
I've never had any mould issues my badger brushes, but may be some use to you. I wash them every so often with a 50:50 white vinegar and water soak, then wash them out with shampoo and conditioner, then a shake and rough dry on a towel and leave to air dry fully.
i do everything you’ve mentioned apart from the vinegar
Normally after use it goes on a stand at the window and i leave for 2 days.
i’m in Norway so it’s normally a fair bit windy and dries very well or so i thought
i’ll give the vinegar a go.
i’m reluctant to go down that road but iv heard vinegar works in the past.
i’ll give it a go now thanks

Thanks Lads
i’m unsure if Hibiscrub or bicarb is available in supermarkets in Norway but i’ll certainly give them a go.
i’m guessing it’s not the land that time forgot so they should be possibly available :ROFLMAO:.
Genuinely gutted
not because of the mould but just the fact it’s there in the first place.
i’m very particular but clearly not enough

What sort of knot is it Mike ?

I know for Naturals a lot of people use Borax (well these days borax substitute).
Badger mate

iv just put it back in a stand at the window & i’m wondering if the leg of the stand is preventing it from drying properly.
i’m clutching at straws but it does seem to be where the problem area is.
i say problem it’s actually not that bad but it’s annoying me :ROFLMAO:
i definitely see a bit of green round where the handle sits

What sort of knot is it Mike ?

I know for Naturals a lot of people use Borax (well these days borax substitute).
Yeah I was thinking borax as well, the only reason we moved to other cleaning and sterilising solutions was cost savings.
Ps yeah I am a Synic. Does not make me wrong though. :unsure:

Yeah I was thinking borax as well, the only reason we moved to other cleaning and sterilising solutions was cost savings.
Ps yeah I am a Synic. Does not make me wrong though. :unsure:

I use borax all the time mixed with sugar to kill cockroaches. They cannot digest it and it dehydrates them unto a rapid death I read. However, I don't think Mr. Smart has found cockroaches in his badger brush...............................yet.

Back
Top Bottom