Best way to eliminate excess water from a shaving brush

After soaking or wetting the brush prior to a shave is it better to squeeze the hairs to eliminate the excess water, or shake the brush?
Also after the shave when I rinse the brush, is it better to squeeze the hairs to eliminate the excess water, or shake the brush?
I'm asking because I'm worried if I shake the brush too hard I'll rip the hairs out.

Last edited:
I've given mine some propper flicks of the wrist without problems, it's up to you though, you could just gently squeeze it with your hand! P.

After shave I vigorously flick brush over my knuckles to get rid of excess water, hoping the now rather dry tips will be good at wicking water from base of knot for a faster overall drying time.

As others have said, just couple of flicks of the wrist. Keep a tight grip though as I broke my basin when it slipped out of my hand a rew years ago.

I'm sure some potential new shavers must look at some posts and decide proper shaving is far too complicated! ! From whether or not to bloom soaps, leave lids off soaps, no pressure , swirl the brush or paint your face with lather. How many passes, is the soap slick enough, are badgers suffering. Sorry for this rant, no offence suggested.