Best Synthetic Knot?

Interesting that you mentioned the Phantom Aerolite. I was really excited to get one, but it's quite big and soft, which is lovely on some days and with some soaps, and has a lot of splay but I often find myself reaching for the Yaqi moka express 24mm synth. The PAA is "cooler" somehow, but the moka has a bit more backbone (not loads but more than the Phantom) and it's a nice little brush if you have sideburns or other facial accoutrements that you want to paint round rather than slap over.

I've thought and decided to try and get a Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic. I love the chubby handle and it sounds like a really good brush and just what I was looking for. Hopefully, I can get one off the BST. Because a new one it's a bit too much for what I'm looking to pay right now.

Thanks again for all your input and advice. It's been most appreciated.

Thanks
Callum

I've thought and decided to try and get a Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic. I love the chubby handle and it sounds like a really good brush and just what I was looking for. Hopefully, I can get one off the BST. Because a new one it's a bit too much for what I'm looking to pay right now.

Thanks again for all your input and advice. It's been most appreciated.

Thanks
Callum

Simpsons and other Euro Big Money brush makers are merely slapping in either a YaQi or DCosmetics made in China synthetic knot. Perhaps a big payout is warranted for an expensive badger brush with one of their hoidy toidy handles, but as regards synthetic knots I think it's a complete waste of cash. YaQi all the way for the win. I use one every day and will never go back to animal hair, not for any pseudo animal rights POV, but just because IMO synthetics flat out work better.

Buy a YaQi and spend your leftover money on soap & blades.

I’d actually echo @Missoni and recommend the Simpsons CH2 Synthetic. Nothing comes close and it’s truly a wonder brush that is hand tied from fibre developed purely for them. Such an effective, classy, iconic handle too.

I’ve just ordered a 26mm cashmere fan from AP Shave Co and am looking forward immensely to setting it in a hand carved wood handle that I’ve made myself.

I doubt I’ll ever rule out animal hair entirely as I really love a ruddy great boar knot and some of these gel tipped badger knots are as soft if not softer than the new synths. When wet, the face feel changes dramatically and really does feel like a light warm gel - amazing.

However, for value, service and advice then AP Shave Co’s main site is very hard to beat. I’m carving a handle from Yew wood for my fiancée and will be setting a 28mm Silk Smoke knot into it. It’s the grey one and feels like a cloud!

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements’ brushes look so funky and I love most of their designs - the Phantom Aerolite, Atomic Rocket and Starcraft most of all. I wish you could pick what knot you wanted what handle but even still, the brushes are super ‘50s atomic age/reds under the bed/Iron Giant cool.

Have fun choosing then choosing again and….

This might sound stupid but
what makes a cashmere knot a cashmere knot ?
is it basically white or is it a certain material or something else ?
Do we call every white knot cashmere ?
I had a "Snow White" Cashmere knot (from DS Cosmetics) and it was a lot springier than the off-white Cashmere that you'd find on, say, the Yaqi Dandelion. They are different.

But, given the vast majority of fibre will be made at the same factory in China, it's safe (enough) to say that most knots of a certain designation (like Cashmere or Tuxedo) will be the same ... irrespective of vendor.

I had a "Snow White" Cashmere knot (from DS Cosmetics) and it was a lot springier than the off-white Cashmere that you'd find on, say, the Yaqi Dandelion. They are different.

But, given the vast majority of fibre will be made at the same factory in China, it's safe (enough) to say that most knots of a certain designation (like Cashmere or Tuxedo) will be the same ... irrespective of vendor.
Yaqi/AP Shave fibres appear to be manufactured by Cormay, based in China...
http://www.cormaynm.com/en/a/Beauty_make...echnology/

Silvertip Fibre ( Muhle/EJ ) is manufactured by BASF, based in Germany...

Silversynth Fibre (Omega EVO) is manufactured by K R Filament Co. (Krex), based in Thailand...

Yaqi/AP Shave fibres appear to be manufactured by Cormay, based in China...
http://www.cormaynm.com/en/a/Beauty_make...echnology/

Silvertip Fibre ( Muhle/EJ ) is manufactured by BASF, based in Germany...

Silversynth Fibre (Omega EVO) is manufactured by K R Filament Co. (Krex), based in Thailand...
That is first class information, thank you.

The first question should really what type of knot / characteristics are you looking for:

Short loft and dense, more suited to 'painting' - Simpsons or Omega Evo
Higher lofted and less dense, more suited to 'swirling' - AP Shave Co (Synbad or Silksmoke recommended) or Muhle / Edwin Jagger

Frank Shaving G4 tend to sit between the two general categories

Best bargain available at the moment IMHO is this brush: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329....store_pc_groupList.8148356.69.26a16066X2zgz2

Back
Top Bottom