Best Synthetic Knot?

Unfortunately they have little or no backbone

I have an AP Shave Silk Smoke Flattop synth knot that I personally set deeper than normal in one of their stock handles and man does it have backbone!! As a matter of fact, I think now I may have set it too deep as you really have to press hard to get it to splay. So, it can be done, it's just that you will have to set the knot yourself to find your "sweet spot".

For the last month, I've been shaving with the APShaveCo G5A and G5C knots, both in 26mm. I've no idea why he makes it sound like they are from the same series, given the G5A is manufactured in Germany I believe, and the G5C in Japan. Anyway, there's enough confusion with this whole G business, but both of these knots are excellent.

G5A is like a version of the Muhle STF but with a serious amount of backbone. It gives the impression of a brush with lots of hair stuffed into the knot, like a good chubby or something. Very nice. This is what I hoped the Omega Evo would be like. It's a bit too bulb for me. I set it very shallow, and that was the right choice I think. The 26mm G5A feels much bigger to me than the CH2 synth.

G5C is like a version of the 2BED but with more fibres and more backbone, and I really liked the 2BED, so that's a good thing. It's a very handsome knot in the handle. It was an afterthought I added to my order when buying the G5A but it turns out I like it more. It's a fan, it's a synth, it has some backbone. That makes it an unusual brush. Tips are softer than the G5A too. I seem to have naturally gravitated to using this brush more than the other. Again, I set it very shallow, and that was the right choice.

Right now, the G5C is my desert island brush.

For the last month, I've been shaving with the APShaveCo G5A and G5C knots, both in 26mm. I've no idea why he makes it sound like they are from the same series, given the G5A is manufactured in Germany I believe, and the G5C in Japan. Anyway, there's enough confusion with this whole G business, but both of these knots are excellent.

G5A is like a version of the Muhle STF but with a serious amount of backbone. It gives the impression of a brush with lots of hair stuffed into the knot, like a good chubby or something. Very nice. This is what I hoped the Omega Evo would be like. It's a bit too bulb for me. I set it very shallow, and that was the right choice I think. The 26mm G5A feels much bigger to me than the CH2 synth.

G5C is like a version of the 2BED but with more fibres and more backbone, and I really liked the 2BED, so that's a good thing. It's a very handsome knot in the handle. It was an afterthought I added to my order when buying the G5A but it turns out I like it more. It's a fan, it's a synth, it has some backbone. That makes it an unusual brush. Tips are softer than the G5A too. I seem to have naturally gravitated to using this brush more than the other. Again, I set it very shallow, and that was the right choice.

Right now, the G5C is my desert island brush.
Interesting... I'm a fan of the 2BED, what loft did you set G5C at? I may investigate... :)

Interesting... I'm a fan of the 2BED, what loft did you set G5C at? I may investigate... :)
I've no idea and I wouldn't trust myself to measure it, but literally so that the plastic base bit was only just below the line of the handle. I did that with both knots, and no regrets.

Apologies, I hope that is at least some help.

I've no idea and I wouldn't trust myself to measure it, but literally so that the plastic base bit was only just below the line of the handle. I did that with both knots, and no regrets.

Apologies, I hope that is at least some help.
Ive just ordered a G5C on the strength of your post. I love the 2BED knots, and ap shaveco knots in general, so thought I'd take a punt. they sound really interesting.

Hi guys, Just wondering what the best synthetic knot is at the moment. I currently have a tuxedo knot and love it. But I'm wondering if there is a better knot out there. Searching for a new brush hence why I'm asking. I like 24mm knots. Good backbone, not fussed if it's a bit scratchy, but soft is welcomed. I face laver sometimes, but not all the time. I usually bowl lather it just depends on time.

Thanks
Callum
AP Cashmere, fantastic for either bowl or face lathering. Great service as well!

I’ve fitted a couple of G5C knots into carved handles for clients and although I haven’t lathered them, I have had a little ‘play’ so to speak. I agree with the 2BED opinions: excellent knot but dry, the G5C feels even softer and with more backbone too. The G5 series knots all seem to have a similar ‘crunch’ when you grasp the fibre and squeeze. I have a rather pointed bulb from Boti that gives that same crunchy sensation when the bristles are squeezed together between thumb and forefinger. The G5C has to be the best looking synth yet.

I think the Chubby 2 Platinum synthetic is technically the better knot. I'm not sure how to explain it really but the way the knot acts when wet isnt like any other synthetic I've used (and I've used lots).
The problem with them however is they are set quite low as standard and have a LOT of backbone. This is fine if you bowl lather/paint your lather on but I found it virtually impossible to face lather with. If I was a bowl lather person I would definetly have kept my Simpson because they are clearly high quality, just comes down to your prefered technique.

I think there's often a compromise between backbone, splay and lather-slinging. I found the G5C manages the splay I want in a way that the CH2 synth does not. That may be as @Wintermute says, because it's set quite low. Whatever the reason though, I'd rather have a G5C for this reason. Maybe if the CH2 synth was available knot-only it could be made to perform better.

I have no criticisms of the G5C for backbone or splay. It's great! It can sling lather a bit, which is a shame, but then almost all synths do.

Back
Top Bottom