Best Synthetic Knot?

@RussellR5555 is correct, While I liked my Shavemac Synthetic it was a little too scratchy for my taste

You really can't go wrong with Simpson Trafalgar, Callum

You'll thank me later, and still have cash in the bank
Are the handles of the Trafalgar slippery? I've seen a few pictures where they have slipped out of the hand and cracked when hitting the floor. I don't have the best grip due to arthritis.

How do you fancy a hand-carved wooden handle with your choice of knot? I have a 24mm AP Shave Cashmere knot in stock and can carve a shape to your taste to help with the arthritis. It’s a bugger, isn’t it? I have it in both my knees.

The way I carve a handle is to leave a finely faceted, tooled finish straight of my very sharp knife. This enhances both looks, durability and grip.

I have plenty of rot resistant English Oak as well as quite a few other woods both native and exotic. And of course, you can choose whatever knot you like if the Cashmere doesn’t appeal.

Just a gentle offer, absolutely no pressure whatsoever…

At the moment I'm trying to decide between some brushes. Simpsons Trafalgar T2, Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic, Kent BK8S, Badlands Shaving brush off of Etsy, Alpha T-400 or I get the Shavemac, and if I don't like the knot, I get it replaced. Also maybe the PAA Phantom, I know it's a 26mm knot, but that handle is a beauty.

If I didn’t carve my own handles, I’d be speaking to Mark at Simpsons regarding a Captain with their Platinum Grade synthetic for the knot. Ivory grain/fleck handle if they do it.

The Chubby 2 synthetic will never let you down and always have the presence of sheer class in your bathroom. Get the Daddy!

237D752E-A399-4BAD-A976-2F8405F533FE.jpeg
One of mine that still gets frequent use. Dark, spalted beech heartwood with 24mm 2-band. Very comfortable to hold and won’t chip or break if dropped. I want to replace this knot with an AP shave 2BED synthetic at 26mm (there’s room) but AP are sold out of that size. I have a 26mm Cashmere fan from AP that is going in a solid English oak handle once I’ve drilled the knot hole and chip carved a ring around it.

Are the handles of the Trafalgar slippery? I've seen a few pictures where they have slipped out of the hand and cracked when hitting the floor. I don't have the best grip due to arthritis.
They're no more slippy than any other resin handled brush Callum.
My T3, (26mm) has the softest tips of all my brushes. Builds lather in a bowl, or face lathering like a champ.
Their Sovereign fibre knots are great.

Imagine, you spend £20 on a really good brush, and have £80 to spend on a nice razor? . . .

I Have a Chubby 2 which I use occasionally. The reason I have it.....I never sell anything. I have a Duke 3 and an M7 in premium. I would usually reach for My Trafalgar 1, 2, or 3 ...or my Chubby 3 which is also Sovereign Fibre......in preference to the Premium. . They are much easier and more enjoyable to use.

Well, the goal I've set myself is two brushes and two razors. Got myself a Hawk v3 and Rockwell 6c, and now brush wise a Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo and now Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic. The plan is that's it no more shave gear apart from the obvious as and when needed.

I'm finding myself eyeing a Timeless razor though. But the rule will have to be one in one out.

This thread began with: ”Hi guys, Just wondering what the best synthetic knot is at the moment. I currently have a tuxedo knot and love it.”
If you mainly bowl lather It’s hard to imagine you will find anything better than the tuxedo regardless of the price. I now have several Yaqi brushes with this knot set in perfect handles all under £20 delivered. I’m not surprised that Yaqi brushes dominate the brush of the day thread - not just on this forum. Synthetic brushes are now so good there is now really no need for badger brushes. I’ll keep those I have but will only use them occasionally for old times sake.

I love the look of this Yaqi:

View attachment 76928
£12.35 on AliExpress!
I've eyballed this a couple of times and hovered on the buy button ... but ... it really wants a Tuxedo. I happened upon that as the perfect combination for lucite handles myself a couple of years back when I reknotted this vintage beauty:

AM-JKLXHiL2tXWORSS89b3kb1bZRM60mNStn5vOwk26pqIWcbfBl1dHj1rv-NjApkS51ojG-OuSJCnTPK_6FE_CdsBAWzfawcN88tbrftEHvqY-Jdn0LxJ2yhnr6Lxv3nqLjqkcxSgYqaXamDW4Mh1NByIczgA=w600

The front one is an older version of what became the Tuxedo. 22mm on the front one and 24mm on the one at the back.

I've eyballed this a couple of times and hovered on the buy button ... but ... it really wants a Tuxedo. I happened upon that as the perfect combination for lucite handles myself a couple of years back when I reknotted this vintage beauty:

AM-JKLXHiL2tXWORSS89b3kb1bZRM60mNStn5vOwk26pqIWcbfBl1dHj1rv-NjApkS51ojG-OuSJCnTPK_6FE_CdsBAWzfawcN88tbrftEHvqY-Jdn0LxJ2yhnr6Lxv3nqLjqkcxSgYqaXamDW4Mh1NByIczgA=w600

The front one is an older version of what became the Tuxedo. 22mm on the front one and 24mm on the one at the back.
Love those and what a lovely job you’ve made.

Back
Top Bottom