Best Synthetic Knot?

That's a great summary, not sure I have much to add to it.

A few sellers have started stocking knots which look very similar to the ones used in the Omega EVO series, and some have stated they think those fibres are close to the ones used in the EVO series.

From personal experience, I own a few different types of Yaqis knots/fibres and they all perform really well, and I think the type of fibre doesn't make as much difference in building a lather as the size of knot/loft, the glue bump and the density of the fibres.

I'm fairly sure Yaqi produce OEM knots/handles for a few others, but they seem to have better QC than buying from Yaqi direct, who occasionally send a stinker or two but I've always had replacements sent out quickly without any fuss.

The EVO fibre is probably at the front of the pack at the moment, the way it retains water is uncanny; it would be great if it becomes more widely used. Be interesting to see how synthetic fibres develop in the future...

The EVO fibre is probably at the front of the pack at the moment, the way it retains water is uncanny; it would be great if it becomes more widely used. Be interesting to see how synthetic fibres develop in the future...

Interesting. I know some are turned away from synths due to the properties above but it's never really mattered much to me.

This is the synth knot which looks a little like the EVO, which is on sale at Maggards

Similar knots can be bought from Aliexpress via Oumo/Boti for a bit less, but whether they are the same knots are always difficult to tell from online pictures. I'm planning to buy a G5 style Fan from Boti sometime soon, but I imagine like all my other synths they will be used sporadically as it might sound bizarre, but I've never really got on with the kind of handles used by Yaqi/ApShaveCo etc, I much prefer the small light hollow plastic ones favoured by Omega used for their boar brushes (but that's a whole different issue)

Interesting. I know some are turned away from synths due to the properties above but it's never really mattered much to me.

This is the synth knot which looks a little like the EVO, which is on sale at Maggards

Similar knots can be bought from Aliexpress via Oumo/Boti for a bit less, but whether they are the same knots are always difficult to tell from online pictures. I'm planning to buy a G5 style Fan from Boti sometime soon, but I imagine like all my other synths they will be used sporadically as it might sound bizarre, but I've never really got on with the kind of handles used by Yaqi/ApShaveCo etc, I much prefer the small light hollow plastic ones favoured by Omega used for their boar brushes (but that's a whole different issue)

I remember reading a detailed post on one of the forums detailing the manufacturers who make the fibres, if I recall correctly, and I may not, there are only a few manufacturers of these type of fibres. We know that Muhle's STF fibres are used by others so I guess it is only a matter of time before EVO and Platinum fibres are also sourced by others. I get that some will not like any of the synthetic fibres and for a while I was that person also but once I determined that some synthetics do offer a face feel I enjoy I quickly warmed. At the moment I can not stop using a £6 Piccadily 19mm synthetic (Muhle handle with a Muhle sourced knot but with the semi-bulb shape supplied to Edwin Jagger) and Muhle's own 19mm STF which has a more rounded bulb shaped knot. Both these brushes hit the spot for me with the Piccadilly being my preference by a hairs width.

Thank you so much for that detailed write-up. You've sold me on the Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic. I was looking at one of these but a bit pricy for what I currently want to pay. So I might put a post in BST to see if someone has one they want to sell.

Thanks again
Callum
Do yourself and your wallet a favour and buy the Trafalgar T2 or T3 ahead of the Chubby 2 synthetic, you'll thank me later....

Interesting that you mentioned the Phantom Aerolite. I was really excited to get one, but it's quite big and soft, which is lovely on some days and with some soaps, and has a lot of splay but I often find myself reaching for the Yaqi moka express 24mm synth. The PAA is "cooler" somehow, but the moka has a bit more backbone (not loads but more than the Phantom) and it's a nice little brush if you have sideburns or other facial accoutrements that you want to paint round rather than slap over.

OP
Mr.Draper87
I've thought and decided to try and get a Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic. I love the chubby handle and it sounds like a really good brush and just what I was looking for. Hopefully, I can get one off the BST. Because a new one it's a bit too much for what I'm looking to pay right now.

Thanks again for all your input and advice. It's been most appreciated.

Thanks
Callum

Top Bottom