Best brush for soaps?

I went ahead and got a 1305. Spent a bit of time playing around with it so it is already pleasant to use. It is a great performer. I will probably use it mainly on pucks. With my Simpsons Duke and Kent BK8 silvertip I feel I have my options pretty well covered now since I like several different methods of making and applying lather. Hate cooking but have taken to lathering!

Fido said:
I went ahead and got a 1305. Spent a bit of time playing around with it so it is already pleasant to use. It is a great performer. I will probably use it mainly on pucks. With my Simpsons Duke and Kent BK8 silvertip I feel I have my options pretty well covered now since I like several different methods of making and applying lather. Hate cooking but have taken to lathering!

Welcome to the club Fido! I have just lent my 1305 to Sir Prize who reported back to me mixed results. I'll PM him to share the info here, or perhaps in the Review section. But to paraphrase, he was keen on using it for tallow but didn't feel it held enough lather. Not keen on glycerine soap lathering. :(

merwtje said:
My experience with boar brushes is that they won't hold enough lather for 3 or 4 passes.
Does that sound familiar?

Yes I know where you are coming from. The better boar brushes I have tried are the Omega 48 and 49. They have a fairly big knot and loft and hold more lather.

merwtje said:
My experience with boar brushes is that they won't hold enough lather for 3 or 4 passes.
Does that sound familiar?

It sounds like you are not loading it enough. Are you soaking it enough? I put mine in hot water while im showerring.

I've not had this problem with my Omega 49; I always have lather to spare. It's a large unwieldy thing with long soft bristles, so it works best comparatively dry (soak then squeeze and shake a few times) and takes a bit of work to load properly - I've found that the trick is to add water carefully as you're working up the lather.

fozz77 said:
I use a Simpsons Chubby in super, it is a great brush & works well on soap. Itcan be a lather hog. It is a great brush though.

I am considerring getting a boar by Semogue from vintagescents.com. They are getting some good write ups on TSD & the price is right.

Since i wrote this i have sold the chubby to a gentleman in Virginnia, he loves it.

With the funds burning down the paypal building i decide to buy a boar brush. But, i could not decide so i bought three.
Semogue 1305 - excellent brush
Koh-I-Noor SC68 - excellent brush
Boreal 976- too stiff for my liking.

I have & use a silver tip from Semogue, but, from here on in it the hair of the hog for me.

The price is right & they a lather machines ( with the exception of the Boreal in my case )

Oh, with the money left over from the sale of the chubby, i also bought a Ikon three piece long handle 300 Gillette super thins & still have change for the three more semogues im going to get. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom