Best brush for soaps?

Well we've lived at our house for nearly ten years now. We bought it off a mad grave digger who now lives in another part of the village. It would certainly give SWMBO as laugh if a shaving brush turned up with his name on it, as personal grooming seemed to be low on his agenda. From what I've discovered he spent most of his spare time using his mini digger to create holes in our garden to throw junk in to. Things like that remind me how close we are to the Norfolk border... :eek:

hunnymonster said:
Could I ever envisage living there? Summed up in two words: "Norfolk Enchants"

:lol: There is a phrase that gets used a lot here that I think could sound a bit dodgy: Suffolk and Proud

Before buying the Rooney I used a Men U bristle brush, I always found it to be a good performer, It costs about £9 from boots including a stand and 15ml sample of menu shave cream, the handle was a bit light and it lost a couple of hairs regularly.Overall a decent brush for the price.I think they may be made by omega.

Morning pigcat

I use soaps almost exclusively and face lather almost exclusively. I started off with the cheapo Wilkinson Sword brush you buy in the supermarket and quickly realised I didnt need to spend a lot more to get something that felt softer on the face. So, like you, I bought an EJ Super (it was on offer and as it was a 'super' brush I figured it must be great!) Wrong! It feels lovely to touch and looks good on the counter, but its too soft for soaps in my opinion. Yes, it will work, but there are far better tools for the job (and I agree you do have to really mash into the soap to pick up the soap).

I didn't want to spend too much, so I went off and bought an Omega 49 from Paul. It is indeed a wonderful brush - inexpensive, well made, good backbone to pick up soap and very soft on the face. I would highly recommend it. However, there is just one thing ...

It doesn't really hold a lot of water (unlike a Badger), so you need to pick up a lot of soap and then add a fair bit of water as you lather. In practice, it means you tend to use more product (which I personally like cos it means I can move onto another soap sooner!), and you may not have a lot of lather left in your brush by the third pass. You can live with all of this, I just think there may be better brushes out there albeit for more ££££.

So I am considering a Simpson Chubby 1 in best or a Rooney small style 1 in super. Both supposedly short loft (and therefore good backbone) and softish on the face. Of course these both cost £50-60. I will let you know what they feel like when I finally take the plunge.

Sorry for my rambling - hope it helps.

Thanks Chicken, that's very useful. Sounds like we are similar in our lathering tastes. A bristle brush looks like an idea worth pursuing. I think I'll try the Vulfix Piccadilly as it is a nice shape and I like the look better than the Omega. When I get it I'll report back to everyone.

I do like the water-retaining properties of my EJ Super, but I'm sure I'll adapt to a boar brush in time.

Oh, and don't worry about rambling, you didn't 'boar' me. "I thank you!"

PC is dangerously close to securing the 'punmeister' title under his name :mrgreen:

Boab said:
PC is dangerously close to securing the 'punmeister' title under his name :mrgreen:

That he is - what about loading one of those "jester" caps in the "avatar box" to the left of the postings.
I mean this as a compliment because the Jester was the only one to enjoy the King's complete confidence - and as a result was able to parade his wit throught the court without the least fear of retribution.

SirPrize said:
Boab said:

That he is - what about loading one of those "jester" caps in the "avatar box" to the left of the postings.
I mean this as a compliment because the Jester was the only one to enjoy the King's complete confidence - and as a result was able to parade his wit throught the court without the least fear of retribution.

If the cap fits...

Actually, quite a few people I know call me a shining wit...er...I think that's what they say anyway!?

To get back on track for a moment I use the Body Shop brush for face lathering with soap and am well-pleased with it.
Being synthetic it does not become saturated like a bristle or badger which means I have the added pleasure of re-lathering after each pass, and having a wooden handle it just floats in the sink between passes keeping warm and wet.
For creams though I use a badger.

just to get back on thread

so far my best hard soap brush is the humble Vulfix 404 badger/boar mix from
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Razors__Shaving_Brushes_52.html">http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/ ... es_52.html</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=V&t=64442">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread ... =V&t=64442</a><!-- m -->

but i still have that LUXURIOUS Simpsons PJ3 in Best that i'm keeping for you Pigcat ;)

hando said:
but i still have that LUXURIOUS Simpsons PJ3 in Best that i'm keeping for you Pigcat ;)

Thanks Hando!! Unfortunately for you though, I've just bought a Semogue boar brush for face-lathering. Yet to give it a try for personal reasons (see General!) but have high hopes. Our good friend Teiste holds these brushes in high esteem, as do other chaps here.

But you could be in luck. This second brush could kick-start a SBAD in me, and it's my birthday in October. Also depends on how generous SWMBO is feeling!

Pig Cat, was it the 1305? I just bought one too, £10 delivered from Portugal, have been impressed with how soft it is. I just need to get my head round how they look - boar looks tatty when wet compared to a nice bloomed badger.

npinn001 said:
Pig Cat, was it the 1305? I just bought one too, £10 delivered from Portugal, have been impressed with how soft it is. I just need to get my head round how they look - boar looks tatty when wet compared to a nice bloomed badger.

Yes it was! Great service and a good price too. The look is very different, definitely not as pretty as a badger in full bloom. We'll have to compare notes on how it performs. I am hoping it will be my soap brush. The EJ Super I have already will be used for my P160 and any creams I buy in the future, but at the moment I don't have any plans to buy creams. ;) Still waiting for my skin condition to clear up but am hoping to have a long-awaited shave tomorrow morning after a serious amount of prep on my beard.

By the way, I managed to reduce the brushes smell quite considerably by leaving it dunked in a watery Proraso Pre/Post solution overnight. Just smells a bit minty now. :D

Back
Top Bottom