Best blade so far

As I've said in previous posts I'm very new to de shaving and I've bought a variety pack and so far have tried a few of the different ones and not found one as good as the derby blade that came with the razor. I've had a few shaves now with a tiger stainless blade which has not pulled at all so I'm happy with that. Just thought I'd share my views

I found the blades that came with the sample pack I bought with the brush and razor were more or less all middle of the road ones. The better blades that people seem to like didn't come with it.

The Derby blades get a bad press on the boards, but as a relatively new shaver I've found them very forgiving to those of us with less than stellar technique. However, keep hold of your sampler pack as you may find that (as you get more experience) you are happier with those blades in the future. If you do like Derby blades, it would be worth trying a Personna at some stage as I've found those to be smoother and just as forgiving.

Here's another newbie that likes Derby blades! Also Mercur shave me just fine and seem to last longer than others that I've tried. So far I have a few non-favourites, including Feather which I tend to nick myself with on the second pass.

I get the feeling that as my technique evolves I'll end up using completely different blades to the ones I use now.

As a relative newbie to DE shaving i've found the sharper blades which most here seem to like (irriduim supers, feathers, etc.) irritate my skin too much, i wholly accept that this is down to shoddy technique.
There are also a number of blunter blades which i find tug and catch far too much (lord, treet, etc.) these require 4 or more passes to get a decent shave and so also irritate my skin, i'm less willing to accept that this is shoddy technique but it could be.

Best for me have been shop brand personna's and Astra super platinums with 7 o'clock platinums coming in a little after and then a bunch of others which will do the job before falling into one of the above categories.

I'm hoping that in the near future I'll be able to expand my collection of razors and start experimenting with different blades for different passes. i.e. 1st pass sharp, 2nd pass current favourite 3rd / buffing pass - blunt seems logical but who knows...

I find that the best blade for the job varies with razor. In the DE89 Personna Med Preps just edge Tigers for me. Switch to the Merkur 34C and Tigers edge the Gillette 365. Finally, when I pick up my Gillette New with BRW handle, I've yet to find anything to touch a Gillette Super Thin.

_

I started with Derby blades and a Merkur 34C.

Tried many razors and blades since but soon realised there was nothing wrong with the shaves I was getting to start with.

I love Derby blades and don't understand why they get such bad press. They're my #3 favorite blade, just being edged out by Feather and Red Personna.

Back
Top Bottom