Best and Worst DE Blade

The Tiger blade above isn't supposed to be used for shaving one's face, but for tailors to cut thread and so on. I read somewhere the first blade the Czech factory produced after Gillette sold it which was suitable for shaving one's face was the Tiger Platinum.
That would explain it as it's definitely not fit for purpose and I could not figure how the hell it manged to get passed the approval board for production.
I wonder why it's being sold as a face shaver on the shaving websites. :unsure:
For now as it was sold to me as a blade for shaving and is still being sold as one, it shall remain my top worst blade.

Not as cool as Ninjas :cool:

I've yet to try my Bruce Lee blades.
I was pretty unimpressed with my Ninjas, they were as thin as a rizla, and about as comfortable to shave with.

The Bruce Lees were more comfortable, but I'd have five o'clock shadow by lunchtime.

Funny how the good blades don't need to resort to fancy wrappers.

Also funny how I keep falling for them!

I was pretty unimpressed with my Ninjas, they were as thin as a rizla, and about as comfortable to shave with.

The Bruce Lees were more comfortable, but I'd have five o'clock shadow by lunchtime.

Funny how the good blades don't need to resort to fancy wrappers.

Also funny how I keep falling for them!
Meh! Who buys these sort of blades for their performance? It's Bruce Lee! And Ninjas! Who cares how they perform? :ROFLMAO:

Yep! I'm also an absolute sucker for anything remotely off-piste but a brightly coloured pack of mediocre razor blades always catches my attention.

As it happens, my experience of the Ninja blades was okay. I say okay, as that's how I found all the stainless from SuperMax. They were fine. No drama, nothing great, but got me shaved. I didn't rate the Ninja quite as highly as the regular green/yellow pack Super Stainless, nor the blue pack Vidyut/SuperMax. But, I'm only talking by 0.1 or 0.2 difference. Personally, I found the mainstream blue/coral pack SuperMax Stainless to be technically the best of them, but most enjoyed the very pedestrian burgundy/yellow Vidyut Economy Stainless. Personally, I'd happily shave with any of them again - I like a simple, no-frills stainless.

Anyone for Willy's?

Pretty terrible. Two or three really awesome strokes (is that the right word when talking about Willy's?), sharp and smooth, then dull as a butter knife!

Willy's!

ACtC-3ejR4PFvjoV3qBAsPGx-4Wc2qJyzpFSkMYlRhkrsgKHWwQlfr7tOFdbzTb1_IRoazOyWHFaMAbRsmVW3MSKEZfNYcg-WAeJ6LeR9d3Z1zKwfumi3s-cVo-SaL6q4EKktBH0cSBMvs7zvJFjGc7oxcSh0w=s600

Yep! I'm also an absolute sucker for anything remotely off-piste but a brightly coloured pack of mediocre razor blades always catches my attention.
Sometimes it works - I ordered some Voskhods on a whim after seeing the mid-eighties style packaging, and they have turned out to be near the top of my blade choice. However I will accept that using the same rationale of being governed by packaging led me to the misfortune of buying a load of Sharks, which was not quite as pleasant!

There really no best or worst blade
Each has the potential to be someone's most or least liked
We're only a collection of a few hundred/thousand obsessive shavers who occupy a very small corner of the Internet, who are always on the look out for the next best blade/razor/soap/cream/brush - so what do we know?

One forum member. Ulysses, @udrako seems to have the blade and razor department sorted.
At least 99% of his SOTD posts feature a DE89 & Derby Extra blade.
He does, however, have the most extensive scent collection known to man !!

There really no best or worst blade
Each has the potential to be someone's most or least liked
We're only a collection of a few hundred/thousand obsessive shavers who occupy a very small corner of the Internet, who are always on the look out for the next best blade/razor/soap/cream/brush - so what do we know?

One forum member. Ulysses, @udrako seems to have the blade and razor department sorted.
At least 99% of his SOTD posts feature a DE89 & Derby Extra blade.
He does, however, have the most extensive scent collection known to man !!

Oh, aye. The scents hehe
I love it :)
Of the blades sold and most easily found in Brazil, Derby - for me - has the most balanced cost and benefit. And in conjunction with the DE89, it works well. :)

These are my favourite blades: Personna 74s, English Gillette Platinums from the mid 1960s on, and Wilkinson Swords, I think mostly from the 1980s. I don't think they have the same reputation as the Light Brigade variety but to me they are just as good as the Personna 74s and the Gillette Platinums. All three blades are really smooth and sharp and last for weeks rather than days. I don't like Merkur blades very much, I would like to get on better with German Wilkinson Swords which always seem a bit rough to me and I like Feathers for the two or three days they keep their edge.
blades.jpg

These are my favourite blades: Personna 74s, English Gillette Platinums from the mid 1960s on, and Wilkinson Swords, I think mostly from the 1980s. I don't think they have the same reputation as the Light Brigade variety but to me they are just as good as the Personna 74s and the Gillette Platinums. All three blades are really smooth and sharp and last for weeks rather than days. I don't like Merkur blades very much, I would like to get on better with German Wilkinson Swords which always seem a bit rough to me and I like Feathers for the two or three days they keep their edge.
View attachment 68239

I still have 9 left from a 10 tuck of the 80s wilkinson sword blades that I got about 3 years ago. I was saving them because they were good.
I'm just thinking I might as well use them as I could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
I still have about 750 gifted derby blades to get through.

I am still fairly new to this but read the comments with interest, am I correct in assuming that there is not any blades made in the UK now?
My own list of favourites are Voshkod, 7 O'clock Black, Permasharp with many more to try!!

No, there aren’t any English made blades now. The Wilkinson Sword factory in Cramlington in Northumberland was the last one. I think they kept going until the 1990s then they shifted manufacturing to Germany.
You could still buy English made Wilkinson Swords in corner shop Chemists until maybe ten years ago? Then they were replaced with German made ones. There was a tiny difference in packaging but a massive difference in quality.
It’s a mystery why the the countries who always made the best blades - England, USA, France, for instance - don’t make them any more while some of the countries who made the very worst - Germany for instance - still make them.

Back
Top Bottom