Best and Worst DE Blade

Which is generally considered to be the benchmark DE blade for many shavers. If you cannot get at minimum a good shave from that blade then something else is indeed wrong, e.g., prep, technique or using a razor too "aggressive" for your needs.

I couldn't agree more, the Astra SP is definately praised by most, but for now I get daily irritation free shaves so I'm not inclined to try the Astra again quite yet. I think on my troublesome areas even my DE89 was too much, and that's not exactly an aggressive razor. I've now changed to a Merkur Progress and the troublesome areas are dealt with no problem on setting 1, the rest of the face on a 2 or 3. It seems I need the mildest of mild for now. Always learning :)

I couldn't agree more, the Astra SP is definately praised by most, but for now I get daily irritation free shaves so I'm not inclined to try the Astra again quite yet. I think on my troublesome areas even my DE89 was too much, and that's not exactly an aggressive razor. I've now changed to a Merkur Progress and the troublesome areas are dealt with no problem on setting 1, the rest of the face on a 2 or 3. It seems I need the mildest of mild for now. Always learning :)
I would say the 2 blades you have chosen are excellent ones to develop technique with , they are both sharp but not crazy sharp. I think it is a good call to keep to just a few while starting out, as that is one less variable in the mix.

Astra's for me are ok but I wouldn't go out of my way to use one.

For me, at least so far, the “best” blade is a brand new one and the “worst” is one that is starting to tug.
I'm liking the Astra SP and at £10 per 100 the minute it goes off I reach for a new one.
Sure it feels different to a GSB and I just picked up 50 of those very reasonably.
Very liberating after years of shaving with a non-recyclable cartridge costing £2 each!

You have clearly never tried a Shark or a Lord !

The Tigers in question which might be the Carbon Steel ones are supposed to be some of the worst blades around for shaving as the Carbon Steel ones were not meant for shaving but for industrial use, eg tailors and has a different grind/edge etc.

So for a bad blade for shaving it's pretty difficult to beat using one that was never meant for shaving one's face.

The new blades from the Tiger factory that are actually for shaving faces (Tiger & Tatra Platinum) seem to have largely favourable reports.

The Tigers in question which might be the Carbon Steel ones are supposed to be some of the worst blades around for shaving as the Carbon Steel ones were not meant for shaving but for industrial use, eg tailors and has a different grind/edge etc.

So for a bad blade for shaving it's pretty difficult to beat using one that was never meant for shaving one's face.

The new blades from the Tiger factory that are actually for shaving faces (Tiger & Tatra Platinum) seem to have largely favourable reports.
Thanks Donnie

I have tried the new Tiger and I liked them.

No way?? Me too! Haven't posted for almost 4 years but that brought me out of the doldrums :LOL:

Sorry I can't add anything to the thread as I gave up after a few DE's. Struggled to make the time but planning to have another bash soon!

Currently sitting Derby train station waiting to go home (still in Derbyshire area)

Back
Top Bottom